lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Farrell.44
Not Yet Wild

Default 1982 help

once again im back here looking for any help i can get. i have been working on my 1982 for three years now and still cant get it going. took it to a fella to work on and he came to conclusion it needed new pulsar coil. well i just put brand new pulsar coil on it yesterday. backed it out of my shop hit the pedal, fired right up! drove it sluggesly over to drive way went prob 30ft down very small hill and poof. cut out. pulled spark plug out, had spark. pulled out going line on fuel pump no fuel pumping. checked fuel line that goes into tank it was almost broke. put new one on hooked everything back up still no gas pumping. had this prob before so hooked the electric fuel pump back up that i had put on there once before pumped fuel into carb, nothing! wont run. i let it sit, went to get something to eat thinking it was flooded maybe, BURMP not. it still wont run, any suggestions to get this thing running. i have service manual and trouble shooting guide that came with golf cart and i still cant figure this out. anyone had this problem getting fuel getting fire still cant get it to move? ha

i have been told once before it they suck air from anywhere on the motor it is not going to run. i have checked all seals all are good. how do i perform a smoke test to check this?
Farrell.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Farrell.44
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1982 help

oh yea, and everything on this is brand new. from rebuilt motor, carb, fuel pump, pulsar coil, ignitor, coil, all of it. i have the chevy module on it all that.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sadly there are so many variables to your problem that I don't think anyone can give you the silver bullet solution. Still there are some common areas we can look at together. Now you say that this is a rebuilt engine with a new everything, did you do the rebuild? Are you sure that the piston is in the right way? A barely running engine is the classic symptom of a reversed piston.

You are also showing the signs of a blown crankshaft oil seal, did you replace them? Did you tap them in straight and was it a nice tight interference fit? You are correct that the 2PG is very intolerant of air leaks so if you crankcase is not building (and releasing) pressure two things will happen.
1. The fuel pump will not work (sound familiar?)
2. The gas/oil mix will not transfer from the crankcase to the cylinder.
This means that even if you bypass the fuel pump with an electric pump (which incidentally may be way to powerful for the carburetor) fuel will not get to the spark plug.

I have heard talk of filling the crankcase with gas/oil to see if it is leaking but I can't see how that works as the cylinder is lower than the crankshaft so the gas will just leak past the rings and cause a nasty mess. Similarly people talk of blowing cigar smoke into the carburetor but I have never heard the explanation of how you build up enough pressure to blow smoke through what might be a pinhole leak.

If you rebuilt the engine and you are sure of the integrity of the work, for example a good quality mastic used on the crankcase halves, I would look behind the clutch where you can just see the seal. If it looks good then spray it with WD40 or similar adn crank the engine to see what happens. Unfortunately there is no way to test the front seal other than inspection.

If you have any more information or clues, let us know. All we need here is fuel, compression and ignition, it isn't rocket science.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Farrell.44
Not Yet Wild

yea me and my father inlaw did the install. we did however put the piston in backwards cause a guy i had work on it after told me he changed it around. i have put a new seal on the back side of the crank on the clutch side cause i did mess that on up on first try. i agree the electric fuel pump is putting to much fuel to the carb but i just wanted to get some fuel in seeing how the vacumm pump was pumping none, but was pumping prior to installing the new pulsar coil last night. as i was driving the cart down the mind you small hill i did hear a small pop like a poof. maybe that was the seal popping out and hence why my fuel pump suddely stopped working. will take a peak at that when i get home.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Farrell, I was having fuel feed issues, and found two different culprits.

Culprit #1 was an old vacuum line from the crankcase to the fuel pump. It had hardened and cracked, and was no longer providing the needed suction for the pump.

Culprit #2 was crap in the fuel lines that actually blocked the intake into the carb (the small spring loaded brass piece beside the jet that goes into the bowl).

Also, when reassembling the carb I overtigtened the bowl nut, which did not allow the jet holes in the sides of the nut to line up with the gaps that would allow fuel to feed up to the jets.

But as Dave said, if there is any question about crank seal integrity, this could always leade back to being the culprit. At least you replaced one seal, though the flywheel side is way more painful.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

More than likely that pop you heard was the crankshaft seal. My 2pg did it about 3 times and every time it did it, it was a pop and out it came.
The last time I installed it I made sure that the seal and the seat was cleaned with alcohol, then I added a little Loctite to the seal and seat and shazam, it fixed it. Still going today with the new owner.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO