lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
BlackKnight
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 - 1985 Marathon Golf Cart Issues

Hello All. thank you in advance for any and all the help I am gonna need.
I also collect and restore pinball machines and after reading a lot of threads here get the feeling this could be as addicting.

1) First off motor # off the engine tag says 84 - 18336 and is a model EC25-2P6 244cc the passenger left side tag says Manf Code E1885. What is is it Really?

2) Has a 4" lift not sure if that makes things run differently?

3) Got a box of parts (old cylinder head, old piston, old carb, governor control?) that previous owner said other previous owner gave him.
He told me he had cart for a few years camping etc. usage. Motor ran but any belt to clutch would bog down now.......no forward or reverse movement..

4) Bought it and brought home, no primary clutch on rear of motor. He gave me old and a new primary clutch. Belts etc. Put on old cause it seems ok I think based on youtube videos I saw and connected generator/starter too.

5) I mixed new gas 128:1 and added to tank. I have good spark at plug. I have 75 psi on cylinder pressure with pedal to floor. When cranking engine I do not see good gas flow from pump to carb. It's a clear tube and is bubbles trying to make the short ark up and over to the carb. So will a bad gas flow cause a low cylinder reading?

Lets solve this first. By the way whats the deal with the square piston hole sighting at the exhaust? I have not checked mine yet
BlackKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 - 1985 Marathon Golf Cart Issues HELP

Your engine was made in 84. The cart is an 85. There is no difference. The 85 manual is here. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

A square hole viewed from the exhaust port means that the piston is in backwards.

75 psi is on the verge of not running. I would suspect that it was really only turning on the starter, and not actually running. That's why the clutches wouldn't engage.

No fuel flow is an indication of pump needs cleaned, ripped diaphragms, or the most likely option. LEAKING CRANKSHAFT SEALS.

A new drive belt is 1 3/16" wide. Anything less than an inch is junk.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
BlackKnight
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the help. the belt is new 1-1/8"

also I did drop the exhaust and looked up to find a square hole in side of piston.
I realize this is good news but bad too right? Whats next for me?

What are the problems a backward piston can cause?
Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

A backwards piston only causes one problem. It simply won't run.

Your next step is to remove the engine.
Pull the cylinder off, and turn the piston around. You also need to remove the rings to make sure that they weren't installed upside down. That low compression makes me suspect that they were. The bevel side goes up. There are little pins in the ring grooves. The ends of the rings wrap around those pins. You should also check the ring end gap before reinstalling them on the piston. I believe the book says .008-.012"
Pull up and down on the rod. Side to side play is ok. Up and down play is bad. Do that on the piston end too. The piston bearing is available. The rod to crank bearing is not. That means you live with it, or give up, and make a lawn ornament. Spin the crank to check those bearings. They are replaceable, but you need to split the case.

After doing all of that you have a decision to make.
It's obvious that somebody that didn't know what they were doing worked on the engine. Do you trust that they changed the crankshaft seals the right way, or at all?

If you don't trust them, remove the clutch, and flywheel. Install new seals. Loctite them, and stake them in three places. Easy peasy lemon squeazy.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Save the old carburetor. Clean it out, and install that instead of the new one. You will be better off.

When you said old head, did you mean the entire old cylinder? I hope so. I'm hoping they bought a piston, and cylinder as a matched set.

You can also take all of the information the seller told you, and forget it. He either lied, or didn't know what he was talking about. That cart never ever ran with a backwards piston. That means he wasn't running it at the campground, and it didn't just quit. Somebody tried a rebuild, and failed miserably.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
BlackKnight
Not Yet Wild

LOL I thought he seemed a bit of a turd. I am not afraid to tackle this project and really appreciate your help. Yes I have the old piston head and rod plus the cylinder head. Gonna pull the engine soon and will no doubt need some clarification on a few parts. Thanks again
Old 09-26-2020, 02:58 AM   #7
BlackKnight
Not Yet Wild

Is this the original carb?

Here are the rest of the old parts I was given
Old 09-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Yes. That's the good carburetor. I see that they changed the rod and crank too. That's a good thing because it's no longer available.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Once the engine is out, check the split line on the case. Make sure they used some kind of sealer. That and the crankshaft seals need to be airtight.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
BlackKnight
Not Yet Wild

Quick question when I pull the shield off cylinder head I noticed this bolt on the exhaust side was already broke off. Was that from a motor mount or what?

Also I can leave the top end alone? And just open it up with the four bolts at the bottom of the cylinder? Also should the piston be bottom or top of stroke?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8619F991-E4CE-4BC2-A8F1-F08573B768DD.jpg (184.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 332BFFF9-8808-4391-B697-6FA1E352A138.jpg (217.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO