lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
troglodyte
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Need Tires for Farm Cart - Ply and load ratings for electric cart.

2010 Club Car Precedent Electric given to me. Was set up with back seat that has been removed. Will be replaced by a small home-built bed.
New batteries
All Sports 6" lift on order for ground clearance. Looking for 22" or 23" tires.
New controller will be ordered a little later to help regain lost torque from bigger tires. If it bumps up the speed a little then that's a bonus.

This cart will be used for around our small farm for fetching produce from the garden, carrying tools and feed, and just general use. It may also end up doing limited duty as a mobile coyote stand. It will be mostly on hardpack dirt, fields/pasture, flat and dry, pavement will be limited. When we get mud it tends to be thin and slick. Lots of goat heads and other pokey things around.

The cart, per CC, weighs in at 903 lbs. Add the potential of a couple of people and some produce or feed and I can see the total weight bumping up to 1300-1400 lbs. We probably won't carry that much weight often and certainly wouldn't be carrying it that far or fast. Looking for tire load ratings to carry what we need.

A thicker tread with a less aggressive AT pattern will work better for our terrain. Thicker tread to help keep the pokey things out. A less aggressive tread pattern will help keep the dirt for getting torn up too much and turning to powder then blowing.

Price is a key factor. Mainly because I am cheap and this is not a show or off-road cart. For a "free" putter around the farm cart I'm already into it about $1100. I just need it to be functional and reliable.

I think I would like to go with skinny front tires to help with turning. I don't need them to float over mud or sand. Turning radius is more important. I might go with skinny tires all around so I would have the ability to rotate them if ever needed. Again, flotation is not a high priority. This may be a trade off as skinnier tires may tend to edge more in the dirt and were back to the powder and blowing.

Here's the tire question(s).

1. I'm considering going with 6 ply (with tire goop) for help against punctures. The only golf cart tires I can find in 6 ply are sawtooth or a Duro Desert so I'm looking more towards ATV/UTV tires to get a thicker tread, a little more aggressive pattern, and skinnier. I figure 6 ply will be heavier, stiffer, and possibly not really needed. What are the practical advantages and disadvantages to 6 ply over 4 ply in regards to golf carts?

2. There are some tread patterns on a lot of ATV tires that seem more suited for my terrain (thicker tread but not as aggressive i.e. Holeshots-type vs. Swamp Fox-type) and they can usually be found pretty cheap. Trying to find load ratings on them is not always easy and the milder tread ATV tires usually have lower load ratings (200ish lbs.) compared to the heavier lugged UTV tires. What's the weight distribution of any electric cart unloaded? What load ratings should I be looking for front and back? I see others on BGW running ATV tires, does the load rating really matter for our use?

3. The GBC Dirt Devils checks off ply/load-rating, price, and sizes. I'm concerned the aggressive tread will tear up the ground too much and there is a lot of void between lugs for pokey things to enter. Am I overthinking this?

4. 10" wheels vs. 12" wheels? How much does the wheel size really affect the ride quality? It does seem there are a few more choices of tires in 12".

I appreciate your time if you have made it this far. I very well may be over thinking this, after all, it's just a golf cart, not a rock-crawling, mud-bogging Jeep. Maybe I should just pull the trigger on the GBCs but I keep thinking there may be a better option out there our needs for a similar price.
troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Need Tires for Farm Cart - Ply and load ratings for electric cart.

I assume you have had a look at one of our site sponsors, Golf Cart Tire Supply.

https://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/

You might want to give them a shout as they should be able to give you some solid recommendations.

Be aware that you might not find what you are looking for on the shelf ... due to Covid-19 a lot of items that are made overseas are in short supply.

Heck, I was in Home Depot the other day and they were out of stock in their 3/8" nuts!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #3
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by troglodyte View Post
Here's the tire question(s).
So bear in mind that I'm new to this as well—don't even own a cart yet. But doing lots of research.

Quote:
1. The only golf cart tires I can find in 6 ply are sawtooth or a Duro Desert . . . .
Today I found these Arisun 23" tires that are 6-ply. They're wider than what you want probably, but maybe not. The site sponsor GCTS did not have them, but other places do: https://www.amazon.com/Arisun-10-5-1...1TE01SKSJAZXC9

Quote:
4. 10" wheels vs. 12" wheels? How much does the wheel size really affect the ride quality? It does seem there are a few more choices of tires in 12".
I wanted 10" wheels, both for a squishier ride and because I like the thicker profile look on a hunting cart. Both my local guy and GCTS tried to steer me toward 12" wheels. My local guy said 10" tires are getting hard to find.
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

look here best tires i ever bought !

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160352
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts