lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gyroscopic drink holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
...EDIT: Would you be willing to send me a .STP of your design? We have a small 3D printer in the office that I'd love to print something like this up on, but I'm WFH now...

Just as an FYI, my 2003 TXT had the hole already in the roof strut/support. I bought and aftermarket windshield, and the support bolt for the shield (with a rubber grommet/bushing) went right in.

So, in theory, if you made it mount by bolt, one in my situation could remove the provided bolt, and replace it with one of equal diameter, but longer length. Have a counterbore in your mounting plate, and the bolt would sit sub-flush, allowing the holder part to butt up tight?

I was confused though, I figured you'd use this to put a beer in, not the garbage in a can that's in your picture. ;)
Thanks EzIndyGo.

First off, don't get me started about beer, or we will hijack this forum LOL. I make my own beer, although I only have completed four batches thus far. You should see the inventions for brewing beer LOL.

2nd, yes I think you have summarized the idea well...extend a new larger bolt to accommodate the windshield and the gyro drink holder. Altho truth be told I am unclear what CI-ing means.

3rd, regarding the drink holder itself since ur stuck at home, I would gladly send you one for the cost of shipping. The only issue is I don't have the metal mounting bracket completed yet. It's just what you see in the pic. The current version was designed for an '98 EZGO TXT's 3/4" roof mount / strut. If you have a larger strut I could easily design it larger. It would be nice for someone to get their hands on it and provide first hand feedback.

PS Sorry for the lag in the response, was on a mini vacation.
RobotObsession17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #32
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Just one thought: That U shaped cap, to go around the roof strut, is too thick to allow a windshield to mount. How about if the U was part of that main bracket and the cap were instead thin - maybe aluminum for rust resistance & strength?
So I did change the design (as I understand it) from meimk and the thumbs up on this design from Getter-Done. Please advise if I misunderstood. You guys are brilliant.

Here are pix of the old universal mount (which it's really not universal yet as it only fits 3/4" roof struts)...and meimk's novel idea: pix below.

QUESTION: I have very little education on Material Properties and typically rely on CAD software...but do you know what thickness aluminum plate I would use with the new flat bar design?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 9.53.18 AM.png (411.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.02.18 AM.png (378.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #33
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotObsession17 View Post
So I did change the design (as I understand it) from meimk and the thumbs up on this design from Getter-Done. Please advise if I misunderstood. You guys are brilliant.

Here are pix of the old universal mount (which it's really not universal yet as it only fits 3/4" roof struts)...and meimk's novel idea: pix below.

QUESTION: I have very little education on Material Properties and typically rely on CAD software...but do you know what thickness aluminum plate I would use with the new flat bar design?
1/8" plate would be good. I would say no more than 1/4.
With the flexing of the cart and windshield frame a thicker plate could come in contact with the windshield.
Also to keep it neat and clean I would use this type of fastener in the link below. Just an example you can get them at a Hardware store.

Link:https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0178185

Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #34
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

The gyro sounds and looks good but I think it will also need a shock absorber!
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #35
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, that's what I had in mind. I wouldn't think you'd need any more than 1/8".
Side note: Google must be watching. Since this thread I'm getting ads for marine drink holders - and I don't have a boat.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #36
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Side note: Google must be watching. Since this thread I'm getting ads for marine drink holders - and I don't have a boat.
That's the truth.

google.jpeg

google1.jpeg

Sometimes that helps give me idea's

Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #37
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
1/8" plate would be good. I would say no more than 1/4.
With the flexing of the cart and windshield frame a thicker plate could come in contact with the windshield.
Also to keep it neat and clean I would use this type of fastener in the link below. Just an example you can get them at a Hardware store.

Link:https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0178185

Quote:
Getter-Done and meimk, thank you. I will start with 1/8" aluminum flat bar. I appeciate the input. More to come.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #38
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
The gyro sounds and looks good but I think it will also need a shock absorber!
Thanks Capt. Lenny, that is a brilliant idea. Now I need help with tiny shock absorbers...if we can find them at a reasonable cost. Or maybe a compressed spring between layers of 3D printed material? I dunno, but now I can't stop thinking about this LOL.

Good thinkin'. This forum is amazing.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #39
rib33024

Here's some small shocks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25467828292...BoCwnEQAvD_BwE
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:11 AM   #40
Getter-Done
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotObsession17 View Post
Thanks Capt. Lenny, that is a brilliant idea. Now I need help with tiny shock absorbers...if we can find them at a reasonable cost. Or maybe a compressed spring between layers of 3D printed material? I dunno, but now I can't stop thinking about this LOL.

Good thinkin'. This forum is amazing.
Here is an example of a spring that could work. Link below.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Conical-....c100677.m4598

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center