lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Krazykevin58
Not Yet Wild

Default Predator 420cc won’t start without choke

I just installed a predator 420cc in my G9. I am using the G9 generator/starter. I have a relay to kill the engine when you release the pedal, that all works great!

My problem is, you have to pull the choke for a split second EVERY time it starts. I’ve tried drilling jets, I got a different carb with an adjustable air/fuel screw, nothing helps this.

I’m assuming this is because with the governor, the throttle blade is wide open until it starts. I don’t want to bypass the governor, the engine is stock. I’ve looked into electronic limiters, so I can remove the governor, but doesn’t seem like there’s really anything out there for single cylinders.

Is there anyway, to use the governor, but have the throttle blade closed when the engine isn’t running? Or is there another fix for this issue? It seems like it would be a common issue, but I’ve searched and searched. I cannot find any info on it. Thank you for any help!!
Krazykevin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Predator 420cc won’t start without choke

The throttle blade doesn't need to be closed if you use the choke, that's what the choke is there for, to limit air flow and make the pilot jet richer. It's all set up that way from the factory. If you want to use the governor, you pretty much should just leave all that set up the way it came. I've never seen anyone redo the factory governor/throttle linkage. Most of us just take all that stuff off and use a tachometer to read the rpm. If you keep the rpm under 4000 on the stock valvetrain you will be ok. Above that and you can damage a pushrod or even burn up a connecting rod. The stock governor usually is set at 3600 rpm.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Krazykevin58
Not Yet Wild

Yes I understand that it doesn’t need to be closed if using the choke. I would like to not have to use the choke every time I stop or change directions (forward/reverse). The choke is mimicking a close throttle blade, like it normally would be, without a governor setup.
Thanks for the info on the tach setup, I will look into it. Only issue is other people drive it, including the kids. I really don’t want it any faster, or a risk of them over revving it. I guess maybe a big *** LED shift light may help haha
Thanks for the input
Old 09-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

That's the only way I know to achieve what you are looking to do.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you remove the governor it will run up to about 4300 rpm and float the valves. I've run one this way for 8 years or more but nobody holds it on the floor at top speed either. Then you can put HD valve springs in and it will run up to 5000 depending on what mods you have done to it my other cart would go a little over that. Again I only did a speed run to check rpm and speed a few times, in normal use I never went that fast which was 38mph with 22 tires at about 5200, all stock internals, head cut and ported, CV carb, header, etc. After a few years I put a vegas rod and cam in it, the stock rod did have discoloring on the cap.

The only other thing you might be able to do is rig up a linkage, I have seen other engines that hit the plate closed when at idle just like a push mower would hit the choke open at WOT for starting.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Krazykevin58
Not Yet Wild

So basically, the valves floating should keep it from over revving and shooting the rod out lol

I know that’s not an ideal rev limiter, but good to know for back up
Old 09-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykevin58 View Post
So basically, the valves floating should keep it from over revving and shooting the rod out lol

I know that’s not an ideal rev limiter, but good to know for back up
Kinda. Not really designed that way, but I suppose you could look at it like that.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes it will, you just need to keep the dumb people off it that want to hold it WOT. When you hit float you slow down a little thats your max speed, you should have no problems with that other than I would recommend you run 5gal fuel through it before you rev more than 3600. Most all recommend you run it a while before putting HD springs in it for more rpm. Note that unless you mod it power drops off above 4K. After break in most say you can run 5K rpm reliably, but if you run roads at 5K it will eventually blow up most likely. I only hit that for short times and not that often. Most trails I run you can't go that speed and stay on the cart. But I ran 4500 a lot, every time I ran it I would run it up to 35mph or so for a short distance.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps