lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
reedjj74
Not Yet Wild

Default 420 predator swap

I apologize for the same question being asked as im sure this is asked a lot but there is so much info out there sometimes its hard for me to find the answer. Im looking to swap a 420 predator into my 1986 yamaha g2. Im not looking for any special set up, just the same press the gas to start the engine set up that's in there now. My question is, do I need any extra parts for this swap? A lot of people mention clutches. Do I need one with this swap? Is there a kit I can buy with everything ill need for the swap? If there isn't a kit, could someone please tell me all the additional parts I'll need. I looked on vegas carts but only saw the 670 stuff. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks
reedjj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 420 predator swap

VC still lists the S/G and engine plate mounts along with the header for the G2. Add a 780 clutch and S/G pulley and all the major issues are done.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
reedjj74
Not Yet Wild

S/G pulley?
reedjj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You need a pulley behind the comet 780 clutch to use the S/G. Vegascarts still archives all their installation guides for the 460 in the various carts including the yamaha G2-14 carts that have pics for the steps needed start to finish. I would encourage anyone doing a clone swap to read this info to guide you along.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedjj74 View Post
S/G pulley?
S/G = Starter/Generator

Gas golf carts have an electric motor that acts as both the starter and the generator/alternator for the cart. So if you look at your clutch, you'll see the smaller ''v pulley" behind the big clutch toward the front.

I'm just making an observation here, but, are you sure you're up to the task of doing a 420 swap in your cart? If you have decent mechanical ability and have done some brake jobs, tune ups, and changed parts on cars and tractors before, then you should be ok. We can help you through it.

With that said, if you don't have any mechanical experience, this project will not be an easy task. I have years and years of mechanical experience and my first clone engine swap took a couple weekends.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With the VC kit I did mine in an afternoon. With their stuff it is a straight bolt in. The only areas that need special attention are fabbing up a muffler with a decent support system and getting the throttle linkage set up so the gas pedal and carb throttle plate throws match. The other side of that is I have been playing with bikes and cars my whole life. The VC installation guide is very good with written steps with pics. You can see before you start what is exactly involved.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can use your stock clutch I did, but many of them are shot by now and then you are much better off to get new. Yamaha does not have some of the parts to rebuild them anymore, though you can get a newer model to replace it I am told and I don't know the price but it used to be much more than a 780. You lose a lot of power if the clutch is not working properly. If you can go that route you use a taper adapter on the crank to fit the stock clutch. If you mod the engine later you wont like the stock clutch anymore.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!