lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
doo dah
Gone Wild

Default Buying a Used 670

There is a used 670 on let go in my area for $300 and wanted to know if this would be a good deal assuming I replace some parts that wear most with new from Performance 670. I'm thinking cam, valves, springs, and rockers at the least? Or would I be better off getting new and running stock? This would be going into a 13 TXT 6 seater that is lifted with 25" tires. I'd be replacing diff gears too since the cart is set up for a clockwise rotation motor.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Buying a Used 670

If it were me I would want the new engine. But, I also have run used Vtwin engines with good success. What makes you think you NEED to replace all those parts? A well maintained 670 should last 2000 hours. If the engine in question wasn't maintained well, I would say it's a risky purchase. The only "sure bet" is going with the new engine because it will have zero hours and a warranty.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
doo dah
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If it were me I would want the new engine. But, I also have run used Vtwin engines with good success. What makes you think you NEED to replace all those parts? A well maintained 670 should last 2000 hours. If the engine in question wasn't maintained well, I would say it's a risky purchase. The only "sure bet" is going with the new engine because it will have zero hours and a warranty.
I don't know enough about these engines to say it needs anything, appreciate telling me the service life. That helps. I haven't seen the engine in person but pics look good. I thought about replacing most common failure parts so I avoid going through everything to install and then have to pull the engine to rebuild or repair. I'll probably offer 250 if it is running and go from there. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Throwing parts on an engine that doesn't need them is not necessary. If checks out ok, just keep up on the maintenance and you should be good. Why fix it if it ain't broke? That's just throwing money away. I'd plan on a full rebuild down the road, just so you know what's coming. Maybe you'll need one, maybe you won't.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

He is talking about adding speed equipment from Performance 670. IF the base engine is in good shape he can build a powerful engine for less than a grand.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
doo dah
Gone Wild

Dude sold it before I could grab it. I'll keep looking, no coupons on the 670s in a few months but maybe there will be a good one soon.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
tntawney
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I'll keep looking, no coupons on the 670s in a few months but maybe there will be a good one soon.
I don't think Harbor Freight is going to discount or give coupons anymore on their engines. I think the cost of parts and shipping from China has something to do with it.
tntawney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most twins with pressure oiling and filter go way over 2K hours at 3600rpm constant, assuming the oil was changed and so on. I've run mowers at 3000+ hours and it was still going. But every machine and its use puts a different load on an engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Most twins with pressure oiling and filter go way over 2K hours at 3600rpm constant, assuming the oil was changed and so on. I've run mowers at 3000+ hours and it was still going. But every machine and its use puts a different load on an engine.
3000 hours + is possible. I've seen some Kawasaki engines run that long. I've found on lawn equipment the valves tend to build up carbon and the heads need reworked if you run them that long. Valve seals, guides, sometimes a valve job. Exhausts also need replaced around 2300-2500 hours, they rust from the inside out. The bottom ends in most of the high hour engines are still good if the oil has been changed. I would think the same of the 670, although I can't believe the Predator would be as good as a Kaw. That's why I'd guess 2000 hours on those.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
doo dah
Gone Wild

Saw that HF is up to $830 now, will continue the search for a good used one. My stock Kawasaki still runs great overall, it is just gutless on hills and I don't want to lose my 30mph top end because I run it on the beach more than anywhere else so can't justify paying 800 just for the engine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps