lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
mpurss
Not Yet Wild

Talking Oil leak- 23hp Vanguard

Hi folks, looking for some advice with an oil leak. Engine runs ok, although once I get home and put the cart in the garage I notice some oil dripping from the bottom of the engine, it's not a large amount. I also have oil spread around the engine bay so I assuming I have a seal or gasket gone. Any advice is appreciated, the attached images should hopefully show the issue. I have ordered a new alternator, voltage regulator and carb so the engine will need to come out soon anyway, it might be a good opportunity to change whatever I need too. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200901_133936.jpg (242.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200901_133946.jpg (185.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200901_133956.jpg (156.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200901_134004.jpg (164.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200901_134050.jpg (188.0 KB, 0 views)
mpurss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Oil leak- 23hp Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpurss View Post
Hi folks, looking for some advice with an oil leak. Engine runs ok, although once I get home and put the cart in the garage I notice some oil dripping from the bottom of the engine, it's not a large amount. I also have oil spread around the engine bay so I assuming I have a seal or gasket gone. Any advice is appreciated, the attached images should hopefully show the issue. I have ordered a new alternator, voltage regulator and carb so the engine will need to come out soon anyway, it might be a good opportunity to change whatever I need too. Thanks!
How do you have your crankcase vent run?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #3
mpurss
Not Yet Wild

Hi, I didn't install the motor so assuming it's the stock route back to the air filter? I will have a closer look today when I get home. I am new to this so i'm using this forum as my guide... is there an easy way to tell how it is run?
Old 09-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Hi, I didn't install the motor so assuming it's the stock route back to the air filter? I will have a closer look today when I get home. I am new to this so i'm using this forum as my guide... is there an easy way to tell how it is run?
Just follow the rubber hose from the valve cover to the air box, or wherever it goes. On my engine, the crankcase vent is on the right hand valve cover if facing the crank.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Judging from the pics, I'm thinking all that oil is not coming from the crankcase vent. However, if the crankcase vent is plugged off, it would cause higher pressures inside the engine making it puke oil.

I'm betting you need a side cover gasket at minimum. Probably some valve cover gaskets. If you're taking the side cover off, you might as well replace the crank seals.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
mpurss
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, i will order a new gasket set and see how I go.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The governor shaft looks exactly like the way CCP does theirs. If so, than all the governor parts should have been factory deleted. This cart is FOR SALE.

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
mpurss
Not Yet Wild

me again, I found the crankcase vent tonight and yes there seems to be some oil coming from the pipe.. what is the diagnosis? Headgasket? I have attached some more images, the underside of the air box has oil on it too. I ran the engine for sometime and I am getting a healthy amount of air pressure from the pipe. I am assuming it spits oil when at higher revs? Can I reroute this pipe? On a positive note, I also managed to uncover the model information too, at least I can be sure what parts I am ordering.. If anyone could advise what gaskets/seals etc I need to order it would be really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200902_185425.jpg (181.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200902_185627.jpg (143.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200902_210936.jpg (244.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200902_190112.jpg (107.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
me again, I found the crankcase vent tonight and yes there seems to be some oil coming from the pipe.. what is the diagnosis? Headgasket? I have attached some more images, the underside of the air box has oil on it too. I ran the engine for sometime and I am getting a healthy amount of air pressure from the pipe. I am assuming it spits oil when at higher revs? Can I reroute this pipe? On a positive note, I also managed to uncover the model information too, at least I can be sure what parts I am ordering.. If anyone could advise what gaskets/seals etc I need to order it would be really appreciated.
From the pictures you posted there is a considerable amount of blow-by and it's pushing oil out wherever it can. You should think about pulling the heads [after you do a compression test] and see what kind of piston slop you have. I would think it would be very noticeable. In all it's a runner - but a tired runner. There'll be other opinions or ideas - check them all out. A blown head gasket would most likely vent outside of the crankcase
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you are getting a fair amount of pressure from the crankcase, then you likely have a well worn engine. As Shepard said it could be head gaskets, but it could be piston rings. Compression sometimes blows past the rings and adds pressure to the crankcase. A rebuild "might" be in order. If you catch it early enough, the rebuild could be basic, maybe just a hone and re-ring with all new gaskets and seals.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!