lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default State of Charge Meter

I recently purchased a used 2018 RXV Elite 2.0 and would like to add a Digital State of Charge Meter. Not sure why Ezgo didn't install one at the factory. I tried a plug n play model like this but it does not work correctly since it was designed for lead acid carts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Cha...-/324012435471

Have any of you added one? Is there one you can recommend that works?

Thanks,
gilbiy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
lobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: State of Charge Meter

I'd like to know too as we just picked up a new Elite also.
lobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
lobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think something like this will work. It's similar to my Victron setup in my RV with lithium batteries. Anything with a shunt that is programmable should work.

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete...a-569360505489
Old 08-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
gilbiy1977
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobie View Post
I think something like this will work. It's similar to my Victron setup in my RV with lithium batteries. Anything with a shunt that is programmable should work.

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete...a-569360505489
The dealer made it clear that adding an inline shunt would void my 8 year battery warranty. Any other options?
gilbiy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
lobie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The only way to get accurate SOC reading on the battery is to know the current going in and out. Either a shunt or a current sensor can accomplish this.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well.....IMHO a SOC meter isn't any better than just looking at\watching a volt meter. My max charge setting on my lithium pack is 57V and I know that when the pack reaches 50.0V at rest that it's time to charge or I'm not gonna go far.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm with Dave on this one. I've never seen any SOC that is as accurate as the digital voltmeter and common sense. Put on charger at 50V...
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I'm no expert by any means, but I was under the impression that lithium continued to put out 51 volts until it was about dead, then stop (like our cell phones do)...not like FLA that will gradually decrease voltage as it gets down below 50% SOC? I was told that I didn't need a volt meter (SOC meter will do) because by the time the pack decreases below 51 volts, battery will shut down. Maybe some of the battery experts will chime in...
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Lithium battery voltage has a curve but it's different than FLA. Fully charged cells like Leaf cells are at 4.2V. I normally discharge mine to about 3.65V per cell which is roughly 15% remaining capacity. So the cell voltage changes about .5V from near 100% to about 15%.
For a 14S pack, that means your pack voltage changes about 7 volts over that range. The drop is very nonlinear so reading the voltage does not give a direct indication of state of charge (SOC). What I did which is somewhat rough is use an Arduino to read the cell voltage and convert it to an approximate SOC reading along with the voltage. I used the discharge curve published for the Leaf cells. I would say that it's probably good to about 5% over the range I use it. Calculating SOC accurately using Coulomb Counting can be done but it's not a trivial effort given the nature of the battery current in a running cart so I have not even attempted to do that.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

To put that in terms that a dummy (me) can understand, the Lithium output stays high until it gets down to about 15% SOC and then falls like a rock? FLA's have a more steady/continuous decline through out the depletion? Just trying to understand why I was told that my meter that read volts (digital) needed to be replace with the provided SOC (bars) when I got my lithium pack (Roypow)
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO