lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 89 EZGO - Electrical System Overhaul

One other quick question - more or less to make me feel better. If shorting the solenoid causes the motor to turn over, does that mean that all of those wires are hooked up correctly and I only have to figure out wiring from batter to solenoid/F&R switch/ignition?

That would feel a lot more hopeful...
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The third picture down shows the battery. Is the solenoid connected to the positive?

There are three wires on the right. The one with the plastic fuse holder should also be on the positive. The other end should connect to the key switch.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Confirmed the battery is hooked up with positive going to solenoid (likely wrong part, but I'm hoping to have it set up so that once I confirm the above is correct and order, itll be a simple swap).

Cart around - thank you for the info. I'm still getting my butt kicked bc I'm lacking the basic understanding of electricity, but I'm trying...

Attached is the pic I snapped of the f/r switch (after taking it off so I could see where the posts were).

Top left working counterclockwise:

Red wire from Ignition
Black wire from accelerator switch
Maybe black wire from ignition???
Red wire from accelerator switch
Red wire to reverse signal

Is that right??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200611_220412.jpg (105.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The fuse is 25 amps.

This is how it's supposed to be wired.

Start at the positive battery cable. Follow it to the solenoid. At the solenoid a small wire is going to branch off. It has an inline fuse, and runs in series to the following locations.

Hot side of the key switch, Neutral safety switch, pedal switch, small terminal of the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground.
All three of those switches have to be closed to power the solenoid. Completing that circuit activates the solenoid.

If you want to make it easy on yourself, The reverse buzzer switch, and the neutral switch can both be eliminated.

You can wire directly from the key switch to the pedal switch. From the pedal switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground.

That circuit activates the solenoid.

There will be more wiring for ignition, and voltage regulation to follow, but let's get this first.

I will take some pictures of mine tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The fuse is 25 amps.

This is how it's supposed to be wired.

Start at the positive battery cable. Follow it to the solenoid. At the solenoid a small wire is going to branch off. It has an inline fuse, and runs in series to the following locations.

Hot side of the key switch, Neutral safety switch, pedal switch, small terminal of the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground.
All three of those switches have to be closed to power the solenoid. Completing that circuit activates the solenoid.

If you want to make it easy on yourself, The reverse buzzer switch, and the neutral switch can both be eliminated.

You can wire directly from the key switch to the pedal switch. From the pedal switch to the small terminal on the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground.

That circuit activates the solenoid.

There will be more wiring for ignition, and voltage regulation to follow, but let's get this first.

I will take some pictures of mine tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 06-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I just saw your other question.

Yes, turning over by jumping the solenoid is a good sign.

You are still going to need power to the ignition coil, and ignitor. We get that by tapping off of the solenoid.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Do you have power to the key switch?

On the hot side of the key switch, there is a second wire. It goes to the backup alarm switch which is located on the driver's side of the FnR switch. The passenger side of the FnR switch is where the neutral safety switch is located.
I think I'm SLOWLY starting to understand this... I have the positive side of battery to the top post of the solenoid. From that same post to the ignition switch (which was replaced with a toggle switch by prior owner). Continuity tests got a beep. Voltmeter shows 0 though. When I move the prong from the positive side of the battery to the negative I get 12. Same when I move the contact points to positive side of battery and other side of ignition switch or when contacts are opposite post of solenoid and hot side of ignition switch.

I did the continuity test throughout the whole set up and got beeps all the way around.

In the above you said I should have a connection going from the small stud to the negative post of the battery? I don't have that and could be the issue. I do have the wiring harness connected to the top post and going to the chassis which is then connected via batter cable to the negative post.

Thank you so much for you help and I apologize for my HUGE learning curve. This is a little overwhelming, but getting more comfortable.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You lost me on the second part. DC wiring is just like plumbing. The water goes in one end, and comes out the other. The voltage has to have somewhere to go.

The wire from your solenoid to your toggle switch is correct. To read voltage there, you would put the black probe of the meter on the negative battery post, and the red probe on the switch.

Negative, ground, and chassis are all the same thing. There are four large lugs on the back side of the FnR switch. The bottom one is connected to ground.

The large cable coming from that lug should attach to the frame. From the frame should be a large cable going to the negative battery post, and a braided cable going to the engine.

Ok, let's complete the circuit. Follow through to each point. From the battery positive to the solenoid. A small wire splits from there and goes to the toggle switch. your pedal switch, and neutral switch if using it. Then to a small terminal of the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground which is most likely the bottom lug of the FnR switch. Then follow the large cable back to the negative battery post.

That completes the circuit to activate the solenoid. Follow each wire with your hand. Make sure it is connected right. Turn on the toggle switch, and step on the pedal. The solenoid should click. If it doesn't, I would suspect that the solenoid is already bad. I finally figured out why I recognize that solenoid. I just installed the exact same one on my lawn mower. It will not last on a golf cart.

"In the above you said I should have a connection going from the small stud to the negative post of the battery? I don't have that and could be the issue. I do have the wiring harness connected to the top post and going to the chassis which is then connected via batter cable to the negative post.
"
Top post of what?
Old 06-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
You lost me on the second part. DC wiring is just like plumbing. The water goes in one end, and comes out the other. The voltage has to have somewhere to go.
I forgot that testing for voltage isn't like testing for continuity. When I put the black node on the negative terminal, I get 12V on the solenoid, ignition switch, pedal switch, neutral switch. I get nothing on the solenoid small studs. I think this solenoid is toast.

Plumbing is a good analogy. I have very limited experience with AC electricity stuff where positive and negatives matter. Relieved to think about DC being different.

Quote:
Ok, let's complete the circuit. Follow through to each point. From the battery positive to the solenoid. A small wire splits from there and goes to the toggle switch. your pedal switch, and neutral switch if using it. Then to a small terminal of the solenoid. The other small solenoid terminal goes to ground which is most likely the bottom lug of the FnR switch. Then follow the large cable back to the negative battery post.

That completes the circuit to activate the solenoid. Follow each wire with your hand. Make sure it is connected right. Turn on the toggle switch, and step on the pedal. The solenoid should click. If it doesn't, I would suspect that the solenoid is already bad. I finally figured out why I recognize that solenoid. I just installed the exact same one on my lawn mower. It will not last on a golf cart.
This sounds like exactly what I needed (dumbby version). Thank you.

Quote:
"In the above you said I should have a connection going from the small stud to the negative post of the battery? I don't have that and could be the issue. I do have the wiring harness connected to the top post and going to the chassis which is then connected via batter cable to the negative post.
"
Top post of what?
Top post on solenoid.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
Pope
Not Yet Wild

Is this the one I need to buy??

https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Sole.../dp/B0074CE6GQ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO