lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 01:48 AM   #11
Chugger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Air Shock Replacement

Hey guys wanted to update you on this thread and maybe it will help others as well. I found out my lift isn’t a stretch plastics kit but very similar. Mine was made by Terra Toys. Easy way to tell the difference is the brush guard unscrews from the stretch plastics kit, mine is made as part of the suspension frame. The pdf was helpful for fixing my alignment issue though as they are basically the same kit. I ended up replacing all 4 shocks front and rear. In the back I used NAPA #94066 which any parts store will carry just tell them it’s for a 65 Ford Mustang. For the Front these lift require a coil over shock that measures 16.5” from eye to eye. Any shock for a 1969 VW bug will work. I found some Empi dune buggy shocks #00-9570-8 on Amazon. I was going to order them but a guy about 30 minutes away had some listed on Facebook marketplace. He tried to use them on a Harley trike but they didn’t support the weight. They are 16.5” from eye to eye so for $50 I took a chance. They worked perfect. Unloaded the cart sits level, with 2 people in the front it’s down maybe a 1/2” but I can adjust the the coil over springs to tighten it up a bit. I’m just glad I don’t have to mess with putting air in those Gabriel high jackers anymore. After they were installed I did a complete toe adjustment and front end alignment adjusting the camber for each front wheel. Highly recommend getting rid of the air shocks and going coil over especially if they are leaking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DF75FEE1-9077-47C2-BFCE-73BF3F929848.jpeg (375.8 KB, 0 views)
Chugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Air shocks are terrible choices for golf carts.

That's good to know for the front shocks. Nicely done!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #13
wycough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
Hey guys wanted to update you on this thread and maybe it will help others as well. I found out my lift isn’t a stretch plastics kit but very similar. Mine was made by Terra Toys. Easy way to tell the difference is the brush guard unscrews from the stretch plastics kit, mine is made as part of the suspension frame. The pdf was helpful for fixing my alignment issue though as they are basically the same kit. I ended up replacing all 4 shocks front and rear. In the back I used NAPA #94066 which any parts store will carry just tell them it’s for a 65 Ford Mustang. For the Front these lift require a coil over shock that measures 16.5” from eye to eye. Any shock for a 1969 VW bug will work. I found some Empi dune buggy shocks #00-9570-8 on Amazon. I was going to order them but a guy about 30 minutes away had some listed on Facebook marketplace. He tried to use them on a Harley trike but they didn’t support the weight. They are 16.5” from eye to eye so for $50 I took a chance. They worked perfect. Unloaded the cart sits level, with 2 people in the front it’s down maybe a 1/2” but I can adjust the the coil over springs to tighten it up a bit. I’m just glad I don’t have to mess with putting air in those Gabriel high jackers anymore. After they were installed I did a complete toe adjustment and front end alignment adjusting the camber for each front wheel. Highly recommend getting rid of the air shocks and going coil over especially if they are leaking.
I have the same lift from when he made them back in the day. Same shocks upfront. Running some white shocks in rear marked by part number 20830. I currently run 24' tires and have decided to go 26". What size tires are you running and did they change in shocks drop the lift at all and how was the ride effected. Mine is an 2001 EZGO

Thanks for the input
wycough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #14
Chugger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycough View Post
I have the same lift from when he made them back in the day. Same shocks upfront. Running some white shocks in rear marked by part number 20830. I currently run 24' tires and have decided to go 26". What size tires are you running and did they change in shocks drop the lift at all and how was the ride effected. Mine is an 2001 EZGO

Thanks for the input
I have 25x10.5x12. I don’t think you would have any clearance issues with 26 but the 25 look really good, nice balance of gaps between cart & tires. Can’t comment on the ride change really because my shocks on all 4 corners were shot when I bought the cart, so all these were definitely an improvement. If you overinflated the old hijackers it did raise the front more than it is now with the coil overs but I talked to the machinist who made this lift kit and he told me it was designed for a 16.5 eye to eye coil over like a vw bug uses, and the cart does sit level so I think it’s a good fit.
Chugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #15
TheWarmBeer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
That is some awesome information, thank you!!!! I just ordered a set of those Empi shocks off Amazon and will install them this weekend. Did you just use the existing hardware from the air shocks to bolt them on? Did you need anything else to install them?
TheWarmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
TheWarmBeer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks to Chugger for his information on the Empi dune buggy shocks #00-9570-8 on Amazon. I bought a set and installed on my cart. I had to grind about 1" off the one side with the long steel tube through the bushing. Not a huge deal, but thankfully I had the tools where my cart is! The shocks are a little soft, even on the firmest setting, and sag more than I expected but the ride has actually improved. Cart rides great and I no longer have to worry about leaking air shocks.

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG
TheWarmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
wycough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmBeer View Post
Thanks to Chugger for his information on the Empi dune buggy shocks #00-9570-8 on Amazon. I bought a set and installed on my cart. I had to grind about 1" off the one side with the long steel tube through the bushing. Not a huge deal, but thankfully I had the tools where my cart is! The shocks are a little soft, even on the firmest setting, and sag more than I expected but the ride has actually improved. Cart rides great and I no longer have to worry about leaking air shocks.

Attachment 207938

Attachment 207939
I got the shocks recently too. I agree they are too soft even on the firm setting
Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #18
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Guys I have recently used shocks from a Yamaha Viking or Yamaha Wolverine UTV on my LT front end. They are a little more on the firm side, but ride and feel great, especially with two people and a winch and plow on the front. I was using Suzuki LTZ400 front shocks and they were a little on the soft side.

Full disclosure, I didn't get a proper measurement. I saw on the internet that they are 15.5" eye to eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 2.jpg (518.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hunting cart viking shocks 4.jpg (490.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Viking shocks.jpg (124.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #19
wycough
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Guys I have recently used shocks from a Yamaha Viking or Yamaha Wolverine UTV on my LT front end. They are a little more on the firm side, but ride and feel great, especially with two people and a winch and plow on the front. I was using Suzuki LTZ400 front shocks and they were a little on the soft side.

Full disclosure, I didn't get a proper measurement. I saw on the internet that they are 15.5" eye to eye.
Those would be too small for the application on the Terra Toys lift kit I'm pretty sure
Old 09-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycough View Post
Those would be too small for the application on the Terra Toys lift kit I'm pretty sure
What do the terra toys shocks spec out at? Length eye to eye? Diameter spring?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts