lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Cool bad boy buggy clicking sounds

I recently got a bad boy buggy. All I know is its an XT but I am not sure of the year because when I look up the vin# I cant find anything. Anyways, the guy that I got it from said it had been stored in a barn for a year because the batteries are dead. I replaced all 8 batteries and charged them. Then it would click but not move when I pressed the gas pedal. I bought two brand new solenoids off amazon wired them up and it wouldn't move. I jiggled some wires and all of a sudden it would move. I drove it around the yard and when I hit a bump it was like it cut off. Now when I turn the switch on I hear both of the solenoids click then a second later each of them (individually) click again and the lights on the controller blink. Ive checked all the wires and there don't appear to be any breaks and when I replaced the batteries I cleaned all the cables off. I've tried using a volt meter but to be honest I am not electrical smart and every time I YouTube it I get a different reading then most of the videos. I am getting my butt kicked by this thing.
Andrewk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: bad boy buggy clicking sounds

So far I have gotten it to work when I first turn it on but it seems to stop driving after about 45secs. I even turned it on, left it in neutral and you could hear the solenoids click one at a time like they lost power. My buddy seems to think it has a relay that is shutting down power to the solenoids but I don’t see any relays. So I’m not sure. I e been looking for wiring diagrams but I can’t find one that matches mine. It’s a 2009 Bad Boy Buggies XT.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Well I figured out that my controllers were blinking in a series of patterns. I called the controller company and actually got someone that walked me through several steps to trouble shoot it. One of them was to switch the wiring harnesses that come out of the controllers (the ones that control the front and rear motors. I did this and now the rear controller is not blinking at all but the front motor blinks three times. So next I will begin looking at the front motor to see if something is causing it to shut the solenoid off.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
kantuckian
Gone Wild

kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Your more fortunate than most BBB buyers. At least you received some help from the controller MFG. Most BBB owners can't get help, or just toss the 4X4 and rebuild 'em as a rear axle drive.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

He actually sent me the wiring diagram which I can send to anyone if they need it. Walked me through several troubleshooting tips and spent about an hour with it. Figured out it was 1.) the wiring harness coming out of the controller was backwards. 2.) the motor is shot. Luckily I have a second cart with a good motor that I am going to try and swap out.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

BBB actually hangs up after putting us on hold. Hunting forums all across the web hate these things. They change things every year or more than once per year. We swore off even taking them in to repair because 1) the company refuses to supply technical info aka service manuals, you can't find them online, 2) parts that you can get are prohibitively expensive, the last one we successfully repaired ended up costing the guy $1500 for one of the controllers plus accelerator upgrade. He wasn't happy.

Many fail and run on one of the motors when they did roll in. We actually suggested them living with 2WD as it had plenty of torque either way, not like you'd actually notice the loss of the 2nd motor (at least I didn't) but we got looks like we landed from Mars at the mere suggestion.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
bhall4
Not Yet Wild

Do you mind sending me the wiring diagram?
bhall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

No I don’t. Let me know your email and I’ll send it to you. I’ll also try to post it on this forum if I can figure out how to.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
Andrewk35
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

As an update, I got the motor fixed by a local guy that rebuilds motors. In the process the back motor, which showed no fault flashes, became so hot that it started somking. So I figured it was a bad motor and took it to him as well. After getting back the front motor, which didn’t even work before, it started heating up as well. To the point it started smoking. And seemed to have surges of power. So I am back to the drawing board. It has to be an electrical issue but I can’t figure out why. When the motor gets hot it goes out and the controller flashes 12 times. According to one of my finds this means CAN bus fault?? So I’m not sure what is wrong.

Tags
bad boy buggy, buggy problems, clicking but nothing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts