lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #321
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 82 harley cart with suzuki 440 FC engine

Took Suzi for a couple of runs today. It has been like 6 weeks since I last ran her. The brake and frame ground were pretty rusted up and the starter would not engage. Cleaned up the ground and zoom zoom off she went. Poor girl sits outside and doesn't get driven much.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #322
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I took Suzi out for a couple of runs today. Her engine is incredible. The disc brake required adjustment again. I wish there was an easy fix to this area.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #323
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Took Suzi out for a blast today. I will tell you it is really a thrill with all that raw power and high rev limit.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #324
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Such a nice day I took Suzi out for a couple of runs. As usual she fired right up. The one thing on having a HD cart with super power is the braking system. When I did my first run today found the brake super weak. I did a lot of adjusting and got it up to OK. I really should figure out some better way of stopping this thing.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #325
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Did another Suzi run today and the brakes work OK. She running a lot freer now after 2 days of being out and about.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #326
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With today's nice weather took Suzi for a short run. It has been several weeks since her last run. She fired right up and the brake adjustments made the last time worked out fine.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #327
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With all this talk about engine swaps I thought this was a nice time to reflect on this swap. The HD/Columbia carts are 2 stroke units without anyone making any kind of kit for them. After seeing the parts situation on this cart with its stock engine I decided to see what my options were. I noticed on youtube several 3 wheel HD carts with 440 cc fan cooled Suzuki snowmobile engine in them. All of them were done by young boys more interested in doing donuts and wheel stands than making a nice driving cart. So I set out to save this 4 wheel HD cart. I was able to find a 440 cc Suzuki fan cooled engine out of a 1990 artic cat super jag deluxe. The deluxe is a BIG factor since it is the only one of this series of engine to have an electric starter from the factory.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #328
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Part 2 of this story is about making the engine suitable for the cart. 3 Things were obvious on the youtube swaps 1) Those carts were incredibly LOUD. That would never do here in this island residential area. I had already spent the money buying a new earlier HD muffler for the later Columbia type engine so after a few tries at mating it to the Suzuki's header I found it sound pretty quiet and did not restrict or overhead the engine as some had predicted on this site.It sounds like a busier HD cart or a 60's 2 stroke street bike.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #329
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Part 3 Of the story is the carb and throttle mods needed. In all the youtube videos is the cart's throttle is almost an on/off switch. This again would not work here for the way the cart would be used. So after some web research I found Speedway Motors sold a very adjustable bell crank with a bearing hub. This would accomplish 2 things needed. The HD's throttle pedal pushed both a rod for the stop/start switch and a rather flimsy cable to the carb. By using the really stout start/stop switch rod to the bell crank and use the right ratio to pull the cable on the Mikuni VM 34 carb I was able to get a full range of smooth operation on the throttle system. This was very important with the Suzukis 43 HP and 6500 rpm red line. It worked out I could creep along at a walking pace or do 30 some mphs and everywhere in between. Some here thought the carb/muffler combo would be an issue. BUT I simply set the needle on the VM 34 one step leaner and the mixture was perfect.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #330
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Part 4 is the snowmobile's primary clutch. Again you could see all the youtube videos the clutch engagement is at a high rpm. The Comet sled clutch came with the silver spring and engaged at 3400-3600 rpms. I changed this out to the black spring but again this resulted in a rough engagement not suitable for golf cart use. Digging around the Dennis Kirk site I found the sold a low tension spring pink spring that fit the comet. And Bingo this worked perfectly as it gave a smooth and much lower rpm engagement.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Sled Engine Swaps