lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Remote F/R Switch - HELP!

I think I just found the problem: I connected the new microswitch wrong. It's different than the original because it has 1 terminal on one side and 2 terminals on the other side. On the 2 terminal side, I connected the key switch wire and the F/R switch wire - thinking that they were connected internally. Apparently not because I have no voltage to the F/R switch.

Tomorrow I will do some temporary splicing to make sure that is the problem, but I'm pretty sure it is. Later this week I'm adding an accessory fuse block that will be powered by the key switch so everything will tie into that - nice and tidy.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #12
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

You will only get power on the red wires when you have the switch in reverse
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #13
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

A typical micro switch the terminal on its own is the common so a wire goes there. On the close terminals one will be connected to the common when the switch is pushed the other will connect to common when its not pushed.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #14
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Below is the link to the schematic for this setup. It is designed to get rid of the stock forward/reverse switch on the floor and allow the use of a regular toggle switch or push/pull switch that can be mounted anywhere.

From what I can gather from people who understand this schematic, when the remote switch is OFF then neither solenoid is energized and the cart goes forward - the solenoids only energize when the switch is ON and the cart goes in reverse. A few people on this forum have done this and say that it works great.

I'm doing it because:
1. I've recently had shoulder surgery and can't reach reach the stock F/R switch
2. I don't like having it on the floor
3. If it breaks, I can't get a new one

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/album.php?albumid=3567
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #15
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Should be labeled com then NO and NC. NO means that one is open/off when the switch is not pushed. NC means its closed/on when the switch is not pushed.

SO on these carts you would want to be on the NC one because when you foot is off the pedal that disc pushes the switch so the switch is not 'normal' and we want it open when the switch is pushed. Step on the pedal disc lets the switch go to normal which on the NC terminal means closed and we go.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #16
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

You got it, solenoids 'off' cart goes forward. Solenoids on its reverse. Its done that way because most of the time you are in forward so less stress and power draw.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
A typical micro switch the terminal on its own is the common so a wire goes there. On the close terminals one will be connected to the common when the switch is pushed the other will connect to common when its not pushed.
Thanks, 73eldo. That explains it! Hopefully my problem will be solved.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #18
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

And based on Sidetrack's drawing and yours if the key is on and you flip your switch to reverse you should hear the solenoids click even before you step on the pedal.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #19
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
And based on Sidetrack's drawing and yours if the key is on and you flip your switch to reverse you should hear the solenoids click even before you step on the pedal.
That was definitely the problem. I couldn't take the suspense, so I went back out to the garage and just touched the switch wire to the key wire terminal... "click" the solenoids energized, touched the gas pedal and it went in reverse. THANKS for all your help! Now I can go to sleep - it's 11:30 here and I have to go to work tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
sidetracked
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

I don't agree with that last remark.The wire going to the reverse solenoids should be wired to the output side of the micro switch.so with reverse switch off and pedal pressed you have power to original solenoid.with reverse switch on and pedal pressed you have power to all three solenoids .by wiring the two reverse solenoids so they only work when the pedal is pressed you reduce the chance of leaving the ignition switch on and leaving the reverse switch on which I think could possibly burn up your solenoids.
But that's just my opinion
sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson