lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #41
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gyroscopic drink holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Thanks rib33024 and Getter-Done, those are two great options. I didn't even think of the RC market...brilliant.

I welcome design considerations, but what do you think of this idea. To levelest terminology the Gyro cup holder has three main parts...1. main arm (mounts to the Roof Strut). 2. the 'ring'. 3. actual cup holder.

What if I place the shock absorbers (or springs) between the main arm and the ring? I think there is just enuf room under the main arm to hold the shock absorbers.

Thanks to all for all the creativity.
RobotObsession17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #42
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

wow, how this grown since you first posted
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #43
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotObsession17 View Post
Thanks EzIndyGo.

First off, don't get me started about beer, or we will hijack this forum LOL. I make my own beer, although I only have completed four batches thus far. You should see the inventions for brewing beer LOL.

2nd, yes I think you have summarized the idea well...extend a new larger bolt to accommodate the windshield and the gyro drink holder. Altho truth be told I am unclear what CI-ing means.

3rd, regarding the drink holder itself since ur stuck at home, I would gladly send you one for the cost of shipping. The only issue is I don't have the metal mounting bracket completed yet. It's just what you see in the pic. The current version was designed for an '98 EZGO TXT's 3/4" roof mount / strut. If you have a larger strut I could easily design it larger. It would be nice for someone to get their hands on it and provide first hand feedback.

PS Sorry for the lag in the response, was on a mini vacation.
If you don't wanna talk about beer, we can talk bourbon!

CI = Continuous Improvement. I'm a manufacturing engineer and the methodology is; Make it as good as you can in the time/resources allotted for the project. Then, learn as time goes on and continually improve your process, design, and/or equipment until the point of diminishing returns. Ironically, I went to school for automation and robotics but the job opportunity out of school (2009 job market) was tooling/fixturing design and process development for a lot of manual assembly.

If you're looking for feedback and critique, I'm more than happy to provide that, but in no way did I expect for you to just start giving these things away. You have a lot of time and effort into them. My 2003 EZGO is 3/4", but I also have a windshield. To be very honest, I'd maybe even investigate if I could modify it to go on my John Deere 2520 as well. I spill just as much beer on that thing as I do the TXT! I think it would just be a case of rigging up a different mounting adapter that would attach to your main holder piece.

I just love ideas like this that pop up. I seriously have a hard time shutting off my brain of how you can change little things here or there. The possibilities are endless!
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #44
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree Swan & EzIndyGo, this concept keeps evolving and improving. I love it.

Sorry for the lag in the response. COVID has shut down all orders of robots, until last week. I have my first order since March, so I have been crazy busy scrambling to get production back up.

Getter-Done and EzIndyGo, you both had the idea of adapting for a mower, tractor, etc. I think that's a great idea. I was even thinking of a gravity version that sits on a flat surface, maybe mounted with velcro?

I still have a bunch of work to get Capt. Lenny's shock absorbers / Getter-Done's springs mounted, but it may be a couple weeks before I can get back to it. I may go silent for periods of time, but I will continue this work... the robots put food on the table. Just glad to be back to work.

EzIndyGo one final comment, I don't mind printing one at cost for people that are willing to work for it (ie submit ideas, write an install manual / video, etc). I'm (near) retired and I don't mind helping others. I also know my strengths are designing and building. I am horrible at Sales, Marketing, etc.

I appreciate everyone's help. I will update the CAD drawings to reflect absorbing shocks....maybe by then there will be additional ideas. It will just take longer than normal since I'm back to work.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #45
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I agree Swan & EzIndyGo, this concept keeps evolving and improving. I love it.

Sorry for the lag in the response. COVID has shut down all orders of robots, until last week. I have my first order since March, so I have been crazy busy scrambling to get production back up.

Getter-Done and EzIndyGo, you both had the idea of adapting for a mower, tractor, etc. I think that's a great idea. I was even thinking of a gravity version that sits on a flat surface, maybe mounted with velcro?

I still have a bunch of work to get Capt. Lenny's shock absorbers / Getter-Done's springs mounted, but it may be a couple weeks before I can get back to it. I may go silent for periods of time, but I will continue this work... the robots put food on the table. Just glad to be back to work.

EzIndyGo one final comment, I don't mind printing one at cost for people that are willing to work for it (ie submit ideas, write an install manual / video, etc). I'm (near) retired and I don't mind helping others. I also know my strengths are designing and building. I am horrible at Sales, Marketing, etc.

I appreciate everyone's help. I will update the CAD drawings to reflect absorbing shocks....maybe by then there will be additional ideas. It will just take longer than normal since I'm back to work.
No need to apologize! We're all playing in your court!

Take some time to get the design where you'd like it to be. If there's ways I can adapt/mount on the cart, but also a tractor, I think I have a proposal for you.

My buddies and I have a YouTube channel with just over 2K subscribers, Indy Farm Life. My buddy Adam does most of the videos, but we're always sharing what we're doing "around the farm" and also reviewing products. I'd be happy to share the product and see if we could garner comments (both good and bad). If you're looking to possibly market and sell this eventually, could be an avenue. However, this being just a hobby, you may not want to go that route.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCV...EbtNjqIKo7fv_Q
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #46
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Interesting thread to read. I love to make things rather than buy when I can. I think you're doing a great job. I know you have asked a few times for feedback. The first thing that comes to mind is the boat cup holders which work excellent. In fact I have two of them on one of my 80's Royal Ride golf carts and they have built in removable cuzzis so you can accommodate different size cups or cans. Are you eventually trying to sell this as a product or just doing this for fun? Hard to tell from some of the questions about universal mounting and if it would fit on a cart with a windshield? The only thing I can find wrong with it is that is seems rather bulky with a lot of thick plastic as compared to whats already on the market mainstream on in the boating world but I know you are still in the early stages. Good luck! Neat idea!
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #47
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Interesting thread to read. I love to make things rather than buy when I can. I think you're doing a great job. I know you have asked a few times for feedback. The first thing that comes to mind is the boat cup holders which work excellent. In fact I have two of them on one of my 80's Royal Ride golf carts and they have built in removable cuzzis so you can accommodate different size cups or cans. Are you eventually trying to sell this as a product or just doing this for fun? Hard to tell from some of the questions about universal mounting and if it would fit on a cart with a windshield? The only thing I can find wrong with it is that is seems rather bulky with a lot of thick plastic as compared to whats already on the market mainstream on in the boating world but I know you are still in the early stages. Good luck! Neat idea!
Thanks for the feedback golf cart man, we appreciate it.

I would like to ultimately sell it, however just to cover my costs. I have no profit aspirations. My passion is designing and prototyping. If I can cover the costs, that would fund the next initiative. I am near retirement so funds will only get tighter.

I concur it is bulky at this phase. I have many years of prototyping experience and I've learned it's better to be too big, than too small. Why? If too small, it doesn't fit, or breaks, etc and testing comes to a grinding halt. It too large, I can still continue to test and bake all those learnings into a subsequent iteration. I can't explain, but it always takes me three iterations to perfect something.

Regarding fitting on a cart w/ a windshield, that is a concern. However Swan initiated the idea (and built upon by others) to share the windshield mounting bolt, and I think that makes a great deal of sense.

Hopefully it will continue to evolve.

PS the pix of your golf carts are amazing.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #48
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just yet another suggestion, looking back at the picture on post #26 you could use a t-nut that would sit flat on the frame behind the windshield. Put a hole in the center of the cap plate and mount it to the upright then use the 4 screws to mount the holder.. I use these nuts to mount mirrors and they work well. Mirrors use 5/16 but could get smaller..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6CC28D82-37D4-43C2-AFCA-FFF8854ACED9.jpeg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #49
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback golf cart man, we appreciate it.

I would like to ultimately sell it, however just to cover my costs. I have no profit aspirations. My passion is designing and prototyping. If I can cover the costs, that would fund the next initiative. I am near retirement so funds will only get tighter.

I concur it is bulky at this phase. I have many years of prototyping experience and I've learned it's better to be too big, than too small. Why? If too small, it doesn't fit, or breaks, etc and testing comes to a grinding halt. It too large, I can still continue to test and bake all those learnings into a subsequent iteration. I can't explain, but it always takes me three iterations to perfect something.

Regarding fitting on a cart w/ a windshield, that is a concern. However Swan initiated the idea (and built upon by others) to share the windshield mounting bolt, and I think that makes a great deal of sense.

Hopefully it will continue to evolve.

PS the pix of your golf carts are amazing.
Thank you for the compliment. They are unique I spend a lot of time on them. I enjoy the project and then eventually sell them to fund the next one.

I am not sure what you call these twist things I am attaching in the photo but I picture your drink holder somehow attached to a universal U type bracket almost like a slightly larger three sides of a square roof support. The bracket hugs around the roof support and then these two things are twisted in until tight. So if the roof support as larger they would be tightened in less or if it was smaller you would tighten them more. This way there is no drilling involved. You pull it out screw the two screws in and hold your drink. I may be totally off base with this idea as I am more of a details guy not so much a 3D printer and fabricator like this but who knows!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 6.14.31 PM.png (100.4 KB, 0 views)
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #50
RobotObsession17
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Just yet another suggestion, looking back at the picture on post #26 you could use a t-nut that would sit flat on the frame behind the windshield. Put a hole in the center of the cap plate and mount it to the upright then use the 4 screws to mount the holder.. I use these nuts to mount mirrors and they work well. Mirrors use 5/16 but could get smaller..
Thanks kgsc, if you by chance have a pic of the installation that you are referring to, please share so I fully understand. I *think I understand but a pic is worth the proverbial 1k words LOL. Thanks for the idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center