lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
jdnevada
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Project Advice

A friend has offered up an EZGO cart that has been sitting covered in his side yard for a few years that he got from a friend of a friend of a friend, etc. I have been reading the posts and know to look at the data plate under the passenger glove box for model and serial number, but it has been painted over and I cannot make out the data. I think it is an ealy 80's, X-444, based on comparing it to the service parts manual I was able to find through a link on this forum. I want to make sure I understand what I am getting into money and time wise. I know it will need new batteries, and the wiring needs some major overhauling, all of that is acceptable. What I am trying to figure out is what beyond that will need to be done. I am not looking for a complete restoration, we will be using it at our campsite during the summer and storing it in the garage during the winter. I think it will be a fun project for me and the kids, as long as it doesn't break the bank or my spirit.

Bottom line, I need some advice, and suggestions to get it up and running, realiably, then we can think about dressing it out. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I don't want to put it in my garage if it should really go out to pasture. I have some pictures I took with my blackberry, and I think I could get some better ones with a proper camera, if the experts could help me make an educated decision, with some rough estimates for repairs. I know the batteries will probably set me back about $850, so I know that is the starting point.

Some things I noticed is it does not have any microswitches, that I could see. It does have a resistor coil, and the recharge plug looks a lot like a 220v household plug, round with three posts. BTW, it does come with a charger. The key switch has been replaced with a toggle switch, and it looks like the front headlights and tail lights are wired into that switch as well.

It appears structurally sound, flat front tires, but the steering felt pretty tight.

Like I said, I have a Service Parts Manual for the 80 - 82 X-444, parts manual no. 9023. I have looked at some of the wiring diagrams, but none of them seem to match up, unless the previous weekend grease monkey removed some items.

What do you think, good somewhat affordable project or more than I can chew. I will see about getting some better pictures of the battery compartment this weekend.

I am not able to upload the images, but can email them to anyone who wants them.

Let me know what you think.

JD
jdnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Project Advice

You're smart enough to ask before you drag it home, so I'll help ... email me the pics at cartsunlimited@hughes.net

I hope you took some under the seat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
jdnevada
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I was able to upload some pics from the Mac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F and R.jpg (84.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Overview.jpg (78.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Solenoid Close.jpg (67.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Side Shot.jpg (68.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

And just for posterity my answer after viewing these pics in my email was....

[name], the cart is a pre 1987 Marathon style frame. It is probably not worth fixing up due the outdated, inefficient, sometimes dangerous ‘resistor coil’ drive system.... You will be better off finding a 88-93 that can be converted to Solid state speed control or a 94 and up solid state speed control.... in my opinion you are smart enough to know that there may be a reason it sits idle and is free..... there you have it. Keep looking for your project cart.
Scotty

Of course other opinions may sway your decision....... we wait for them to post.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I dig those seat backs! I wonder if I had a pair of those and the matching roof struts if they'd fit on my Medalist? Anybody parting one out?
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Depends on what your expectations are for a cart. If you are wanting to do a full blown resto, Scotty's right, look for another more current cart.
If it's just for piddling around a campsite and your not too concerned about speed, you can get batteries from Sam's club for less than $450 and with a little TLC this could be up and running for cheap.
I'm not sure how resistor carts are considered dangerous but they do draw a little more battery power than a controller cart at low speeds.
Club Car used resistors up until 2003.
The motor and everything else is the same as a controller cart.
They are also the simplest carts to work on.
If you change your mind after getting it running, you can transfer the new batteries to another cart.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Scottyb is a plastic freak!!!

That old metal bodied Marathon is worthy of some TLC. They were (are) tanks. !! Due to the motor being perpendicular, it is highly likely it is a 1985 or older model X444. Electronic controllers started for EZGO in very late 1988 model year. The resistor coil system was phased out by about 94 except maybe for some industrial carts....????

First thing, check the motor and make sure it works. You can do this with a 12v battery or even a charger with the "Start/Boost" feature. Search on this forum on how to...

Yes, the resistor coils present some issues with heat and battery life, but properly maintained the system will work as advertised. Just KNOW what you have and how it works.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL, Resistor coil danger it's just my my opinion. You don't have to like it..... But it isn't fiction, it's conjuncture
Resistor coils can get really hot, in fact, glowing red hot, while they are wasting your amperage as you piddle around. We had one cart here set a dry field on fire when the driver stopped in the tall brown grass.
Anyway yes, old carts are cheap and fun, just like PG says know what you got.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
jdnevada
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. I think I will check the motor on a 12 volt battery and if it works drag it to the house.

Now, what about those <$450 batteries at Sam's club? Anyone know if they have them at Costco?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Each Costco carries different inventories but some stores have them. You'll have to check your own store to see or maybe they can get them for you.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO