lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
j_man_21050
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Ezgo Marthon

Well...I purchased a second cart. I was on the look out for a parts cart for my 1981 Marathon restoration project when I came across this beauty! A 1989 Ezgo Marathon 36V with batteries and in running condition. In this area carts are relatively pricey, even the older carts. I paid $1000 for it and feel that it was a reasonable deal since the cart had 2019 batteries and was in running condition. The charger was rebuilt within the last year and the resistors also replaced.

My plans are to convert it to a solid state cart or maybe even do the IQ conversion when the kit is available from ScottyB. Other upgrades to include:

48V lead-acid or lithium upgrade (once the batteries need replacing)
Lift kit
New tires/wheels
New body (or use the body from my 81 Marathon) - what other body will fit on this frame?
Upgraded brakes is possible
Grill/bumper guard (future)

Will mostly be used off-road on semi-hilly terrain. Could also serve as my hunting vehicle. Ideal use is for campgrounds.

Any suggestions as far as upgrades/modifications are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65929962639--43E6B066-EADA-43E3-9D09-ADCBEEE0B423.jpg (398.7 KB, 0 views)
j_man_21050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 Ezgo Marthon

Cool cart. I haven't seen a Marathon with that boxy style rear body before. No clue what bodies will fit on a Marathon other than another marathon body or a txt body (with some work). I believe everyone should have at least one older cart in their fleet. I have a 94 marathon 3 wheeler that is my favorite cart.
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
JRaf
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1989 Ezgo Marthon

It's definitely not your everyday Marathon. I would agree that the first thing to do is get rid of the resistors. That will make it more efficient and maybe even faster with more torque. You could do that cheaply or with an eye to the future (buy a controller that can handle 48v). I suspect you'll have to go to 48v to handle bigger wheels but I'm not sure about that.
I like the body. I painted my Marathon with a roller. and half a quart of Rustoleum. It has a pickup style bed in the back and it's a workhorse around here. Not fast but it'll carry four people up and down a hill all day. (I didn't say it was comfortable for the two in the back.)
JRaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric ezgo, marathon, restoration
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO