lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
whateverittakes
Getting Wild

Default Rebuild or buy complete engine ?

I have a 97 ezgo that I think I broke a rod. I seen on Vargas carts I can get a 460 conversion for like $700 also heard ct rebuilds I can get a 375 what do you guys think? Anyone used one of these engines
whateverittakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Rebuild or buy complete engine ?

Check the BB/clones section a lot of us have put clones in from 390-460cc they are the same block. Vegas has mounts and engines, the mount makes it easier if you don't weld/etc. You get a lot more power, not like a v twin but roughly double that of a worn out stock engine. It is a project it takes a while with all the details like cables and exhaust and such you have to fabricate/hook up. Depends how crafty you are if you want to take on a project and if you need more power. You can swap in a stock rebuilt pretty fast while a clone takes time to get everything buttoned up. However you can buy a brand new clone for ~$300 which is cheap, though you will need other things like a $50 clutch adapter, exhaust parts, other minor things. You can put a rev kit on the clone pretty cheap and run fairly nice top speeds once broken in. Springs and advance key are only $20 or something, rejet the carb and you will be rolling pretty good. The Vegas stock engine has some better parts on it and loses the fuel tank you don't need, its a nice deal but you can use other clones too. If you want to toss the stock generator you might want the 18A charge engine home depot online has and some others, it costs a little more but the typical clone does not charge much at all so otherwise its better to keep the stock gen/starter. Or you can fab a car alternator on to it, some have done that.

If you look in the clones section you can find installs on your model cart, you can get help there if you decide to go that route. You can mod the clones a lot Vegas sells a built one too. GX390 honda was raced a lot so many parts out there for them. Or you can find a used vanguard and rebuild it if needed, and use that. I used a clone because I wanted a new engine, didn't have the time to mess with used and didn't need tons of power. My cart with a few mods and stock block has gone 38mph gps on 22s, it will spin the tires and do donuts on gravel/dirt. It could be unsafe in the wrong hands without doubt and its used for trail/yard/utility use so no need to be that wild. Really fun to run though, dialing in a new clutch on it right now almost have it working like I want. I also built a stock clone before this one only the airbox and exhaust are fabricated. Both run just like a stock cart with no governor, slightly louder exhaust, and twice the power. Mine will rev out more and has little more power with cut head and other simple mods. Now you can also get the clone vtwin the price has dropped at harbor freight to 700, not sure if you can use the coupon on them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

The general consensus I have seen is doing a ct rebuild engine. Nothing wrong with going with a BB but, CT will give you a drop in solution. Unless you want to rebuild your stock engine which is what I did and enjoyed doing it.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I've been using CT rebuilds for quite awhile now, Carrie is great to work with and they are definitely on top of their game - there is definitely a noticeable difference going from a stock 295 to one of their 375 perf motors, and as mentioned above, about an hour and a half after getting the big box from UPS You're all done with the swap, dialed in and running like new again.

That said, the clone route is also pretty nice if You don't mind the noise (your cart will sound basically like your lawnmower unless You devote some time and cash making an exhaust that'll quiet it down without robbing the engine of power - lots of trial and error as a rule) ... Also, at least around here, the resale on cloned carts is pretty bad, especially when You consider the investment in engine, cradle, clutch, exhaust, etc which starts at around $1500 and can jump up pretty fast if You're not careful. WHile the top end on a 375 won't be any faster than a stock motor (mainly due to the rev limiter keeping both motors capped at 4k) it gets you there a lot more assertively and will pretty much eliminate any hill-climbing troubles, etc You may have.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
whateverittakes
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Check the BB/clones section a lot of us have put clones in from 390-460cc they are the same block. Vegas has mounts and engines, the mount makes it easier if you don't weld/etc. You get a lot more power, not like a v twin but roughly double that of a worn out stock engine. It is a project it takes a while with all the details like cables and exhaust and such you have to fabricate/hook up. Depends how crafty you are if you want to take on a project and if you need more power. You can swap in a stock rebuilt pretty fast while a clone takes time to get everything buttoned up. However you can buy a brand new clone for ~$300 which is cheap, though you will need other things like a $50 clutch adapter, exhaust parts, other minor things. You can put a rev kit on the clone pretty cheap and run fairly nice top speeds once broken in. Springs and advance key are only $20 or something, rejet the carb and you will be rolling pretty good. The Vegas stock engine has some better parts on it and loses the fuel tank you don't need, its a nice deal but you can use other clones too. If you want to toss the stock generator you might want the 18A charge engine home depot online has and some others, it costs a little more but the typical clone does not charge much at all so otherwise its better to keep the stock gen/starter. Or you can fab a car alternator on to it, some have done that.

If you look in the clones section you can find installs on your model cart, you can get help there if you decide to go that route. You can mod the clones a lot Vegas sells a built one too. GX390 honda was raced a lot so many parts out there for them. Or you can find a used vanguard and rebuild it if needed, and use that. I used a clone because I wanted a new engine, didn't have the time to mess with used and didn't need tons of power. My cart with a few mods and stock block has gone 38mph gps on 22s, it will spin the tires and do donuts on gravel/dirt. It could be unsafe in the wrong hands without doubt and its used for trail/yard/utility use so no need to be that wild. Really fun to run though, dialing in a new clutch on it right now almost have it working like I want. I also built a stock clone before this one only the airbox and exhaust are fabricated. Both run just like a stock cart with no governor, slightly louder exhaust, and twice the power. Mine will rev out more and has little more power with cut head and other simple mods. Now you can also get the clone vtwin the price has dropped at harbor freight to 700, not sure if you can use the coupon on them.
What engine did you go with I would be happy with 38mph Did you have to change anything or was it a direct swap?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
whateverittakes
Getting Wild

Will the ct 375 be faster then the 295 I have now?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Without changing gears, no. Like BCM said though, it'll get you to that speed a lot quicker. (Last sentence in his post. )
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverittakes View Post
Will the ct 375 be faster then the 295 I have now?
Well... Since yours has a broken rod I would say yes

Now that smart butt comment has been made, if your old engine was not reaching full RPMs then a little faster but not much. Like he said it would just get there quicker.. On another note, if the governor was set too tight that could have been what caused the rod to go in the first place..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

That also brings up a good point RE the clone motors, as they are stock, most have a 4k rev limit so they will NOT be any faster than a stock 295, 350, 375, etc - just more torque. In order to get faster RPM's at the tires (which translates iinto speed) You have to start by getting more RPM's at the engine OR change the gearing ratio somewhere along the line IE speed gears in the rear end, etc. Now - if You spend a LOT of money on a clone to do a timing advance, better rockers and springs, etc You can then safely push that motor to say 5k RPM, which then WOULD result in higher speed - but in stock configuration, there really won't be any difference between 9hp or 300hp top-speed wise unless said engine is putting out substantially higher RPM's.

Although a 300hp Golf Cart *would* probably be pretty cool, even if it only did 30, LOL ...
Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

^taking into consideration the broken rod - KG, You're KILLIN me here^
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO