lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

Default Batteries 38.9V

I charged my batteries overnight and then checked the voltage this afternoon. According to a chart I have fully charged is 38.2 volts, but when I checked mine they were 38.9 volts. Should I be concerned that my charger is overcharging?
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries 38.9V

You may have checked them too soon. They need 12 hours or so to settle...after the charge is complete.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

I checked them again tonight, 24+ hours after coming off the charger and it’s at 38.7 volts.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:50 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Your 36 volt pack at a fully charged stabilized voltage of 38.7 volts is reading 0.5 volts over the 100% chart value of 38.2 volts ... which is NOT a concern and is NOT an indication of overcharging.

Different battery manufacturers and battery models may differ from the charts. Voltage differences can also be due to the batteries not being fully stabilized (24 hrs after charging is a good reference point but it could take longer), a lower battery fluid level will result in a more concentrated acid and hence a higher voltage, or the batteries recently undergoing an equalization charge will also result in a higher stabilized voltage.

My 6v Trojan T-125's have a pack voltage of 52.1 volts at 24 hrs or so after disconnecting the charger ... the 100% chart value for that 48 volts pack is 50.9 volts, so I am at 1.2 volts over the 100% chart value. My individual battery voltages vary from 6.46 to 6.54 volts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #5
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

Thank you ThreeCW. Sounds like I’m all good then. Water levels are good as I have checked that.

I’m a total noob to golf carts so I’ve been trying to make sure everything is good.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You may want to look at the "Stickies". They have great info on battery maintenance, etc. Helped me a lot when I first got my cart. AND don't be afraid to ask questions if you need help. There is a lot of knowledgeable folks that will be glad to help. There is no such thing as a stupid question here, we all are learning as we go.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

[QUOTE=Three CW

My 6v Trojan T-125's have a pack voltage of 52.1 volts at 24 hrs or so after disconnecting the charger ... the 100% chart value for that 48 volts pack is 50.9 volts, so I am at 1.2 volts over the 100% chart value. My individual battery voltages vary from 6.46 to 6.54 volts.[/QUOTE]

Huh? You have a work cart and a farm and have DISCONNECTED the charger for 24 HOURS????? My wagon gets to the charger at 10-11 pm and is rolling again at 6:15 am . Course that explains a pack lasting me 2 years and change.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Huh? You have a work cart and a farm and have DISCONNECTED the charger for 24 HOURS????? My wagon gets to the charger at 10-11 pm and is rolling again at 6:15 am . Course that explains a pack lasting me 2 years and change.
Dundee ... your cart certainly gets used a bunch more than ours. Although we do use our Cushman some on warmer winter days, most of our use is on above zero days. I'm surprised that you have not worn your cart out by now. Our cart still has the factory rubber on it
Old 04-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
Thank you ThreeCW. Sounds like I’m all good then. Water levels are good as I have checked that.

I’m a total noob to golf carts so I’ve been trying to make sure everything is good.
Understanding your battery charge cycle is good thing to learn about. Attached is some good information for those so inclined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan - Charging Voltage and Profile - Flooded.JPG (75.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan - Cycle Life Chart.JPG (43.8 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan 1 - Battery Users Guide - 2019-04-30.pdf (2.28 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car