lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Battery drain only when driving

Sooo... i have looked and looked and seems my problem is different then what i could find here.
I have a g1. I have replaced the voltage regulator, the generator and the battery. I even put a digital voltage display onboard. My problem is when im driving it drains the battery fast. When i let up and stop the batty shows 12.1 volts. If i just sit for a few minutes it goes back up to 13 plus. This had had me going for actual years! Sometimes it works for a few days and i thing its all good then out of nowhere bam. The only other odd thing is when i am driving it and its having this issue it tends to almost kill the engine for a split second. Almost like a misfire. Then it will go like hell for a few minutes then repeat. Any thoughts are so appreciated. Thanks
crazyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 Battery drain only when driving

Jack the back of your cart up, place a volt meter on your battery then run your cart at about half throttle. You should have 14 or so volts at the battery at this time. I am guessing you don't. Personally, I would replace every wire in your charging circuit. This would be all of the wires associated with your voltage regulator and both small wires going to the generator. Make sure that all of these grounds are shiny bright as well.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Its really odd...sometimes it is fine and others it is like its in discharge mode. I guess a short would make sence.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Ok, sooo turns out the previous owner did some patch work on the stator wires and they shorted out. Black while was just barley hanging on. And the seals are leaking lim6e a pig....anyone have a link handy where to get a new stator? I have looke on ebay and no luck. Thanks for any help
Old 04-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Still cant find parts.....anyone? Its just called the stator right?
Old 04-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #6
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Ok, im gonna beg for help one more time...with an update.
I have replaced the generator, voltage regulator, battery, and all wiring coming from the mag. If i fully charge the battery and drive it around it works great....voltage goes to 13.9. But after it get hot, maybe 29 minutes of driving it starts discharging. If i stop its at 12.5 ish and if i hit the gas it goes to 9.7 but starts....drive for a little while and its now not charging at all it actually starts dropping tull i let go of the gas then it starts coming up again. I am at my wits end. Can it be a short in a solenoid? Bad cdi? Any help please? Im begging
Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sounds like you’re having EXACTLY the same issue I had for over a year, and I’ve read a bundle of posts for folks having G1 charging issues. The good news/bad news is mine is working, but I’m not 100% sure of why. I also replaced the S/G & VR &/went through my wiring until my head hurt. I spent 40 years troubleshooting electrical systems, and this had me totally stumped.

I put a meter on the SG charging line and witnessed it not outputting. I replaced the SG with an EBay buy, and no joy. I even took my old and new S/G to an electrical shop had had it checked out and he was as confused as I was. After declaring both SG’s bad, I returned the eBay buy and bought a new one from this expert. ...and it still would not charge on his test bench. He refunded me, admitted he was stumped, and asked me to never bring it there again....lol.
So after that horror story, I went home and reinstalled my original SG and the cart has been great ever since. I had also installed a little LED voltage meter to keep an eye on it and now it cranks out 13+ volts and as much as 15+.

So what the hell happened? The only thoughts I have center on the battery ground circuit. The G1 is a weird beast. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever seen that does not ground the negative cable to the frame. So (1)- I ripped out ALL wiring that had been added for a headlight and horn, both of which used a frame ground figuring I’d get back to factory wiring configuration as a start.
I also (2)- CAREFULLY inspected the negative battery cable and figured out it was only hanging on by a strand or two. It would meter out fine, but could not carry any real amperage so I replaced it. And (3)- I kept looking at the engine frame trying to figure out how it was grounded to the cart frame? Look carefully and you’ll seek the entire engine assembly including the SG sits on a framework which drops into the engine bay and bolts to the cart frame. I removed the nuts holding the frame in and cleaned up the studs and put it all back together. Not sure what that would do, but I was totally stumped.

So after steps 1,2,&3 it got reassembled and holy crap, it worked.. with, by the way, the original SG which and “expert” could not get to working his test bench. I then reinstalled my lights and horn, with all negative side wiring returning all the way back to the battery. Still no issues and I drive this cart daily.
I’m not sure if this rambling story will help, but figured I’d offer up my what I did and let you know that I too have been exactly where you are. Check out any and everything I’ve posted on this sight about my G1, and maybe you’ll find a nugget of info to help you out. Good luck.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Back in the day, the old VW bugs ran generators (vice alternators) and sometimes even a new generator would not charge because the field windings would need to be “flashed”. I’m not saying this was my case, but wonder if during all the bench testing fiasco, the guy didn’t inadvertently flash my windings? Food for thought.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Thank you so much for the reply. I also added a led volts meter. I did replace the ground from the solenoid to the battery. What gets me is its fine till it gets used for like 20 minutes or more. Like maybe something is getting warm then shorting. I do appreciate the reply very much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha