lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default engine stumbled and now no spark

my 1980 g1 started stumbling like it wasnt getting gas then died, tried with muffler off and pulled the plug and it was fouled (dark oily black) i pre mix 50:1, so put new plug in and nothing, used a spark tester and no spark. any ideas?
dwmmatt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: engine stumbled and now no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmmatt23 View Post
my 1980 g1 started stumbling like it wasnt getting gas then died, tried with muffler off and pulled the plug and it was fouled (dark oily black) i pre mix 50:1, so put new plug in and nothing, used a spark tester and no spark. any ideas?
First look at the 4 wires that come out of the engine(passangerside) that plug int the wire harness. They are "bulit/snap" connectors, hopefully they came undun or corroded off. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

went through wires, non loose or came off. everything is working the exact same just no spark, is there anyway to test the coil or anything else i might test?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
went through wires, non loose or came off. everything is working the exact same just no spark, is there anyway to test the coil or anything else i might test?
I'll try to post the tests for "pulser/source coils"/ignition coil" tomarrow. Unfortunatly there is no "test" for the "CDI" unit. It's the last of the "ignition" "string". If all other tests so good......bad "CDI". Later Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I'll try to post the tests for "pulser/source coils"/ignition coil" tomarrow. Unfortunatly there is no "test" for the "CDI" unit. It's the last of the "ignition" "string". If all other tests so good......bad "CDI". Later Dave
perfect, thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
perfect, thanks
First lets try "Pulser and Source" coil Ohms test. On the passanger side rear inner fender you'll find the wire harness "bulit" conections to the "cdi" (between the rearward side of the soleniods). "Unplug" the (white/red and white/green) wires...check the ohm reading...should be 14 ohms +-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the "pulsar coil" behind the flywheel. Now "Unplug" the (brown and black) wires...ohm reading should be 350 ohms+-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the " charge coil" behind the flywheel. Now to check the "ignition coil". Unscrew your spark plug cap (counter clockwise), unplug the "orange" wire from the wire harness...check for continuity between the orange wire and the "core" of the ignition coil (meaning the metal part of the coil were the screws go thru to mount it) You should Primary winding resistance of 1.0 ohms +- 10%. If not change the coil. Now to check the "secondary winding resistance", (this is why you removed the spark plug cap).. check the ohms between "the core and the end of the spark plug wire"..You should have 5.9k ohms +- 20%...If not change the coil. I recommend you take a small section off the coil wire (with dikes) to promote a good mating surface for your spark plug cap to screw back into....(this could be the problem also ). Give these tests a try and let me know. Sorry it seem like such a long post, but if I didn't expain it this way I don't know if you'd understand the procedures. Later Dave
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Dave you da man!!!

You are a wealth of knowledge Thanks for sharing!!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

man your awesome, ill try after work
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
dwmmatt23
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
First lets try "Pulser and Source" coil Ohms test. On the passanger side rear inner fender you'll find the wire harness "bulit" conections to the "cdi" (between the rearward side of the soleniods). "Unplug" the (white/red and white/green) wires...check the ohm reading...should be 14 ohms +-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the "pulsar coil" behind the flywheel. Now "Unplug" the (brown and black) wires...ohm reading should be 350 ohms+-10% (if not you have a wire harness problem or the " charge coil" behind the flywheel. Now to check the "ignition coil". Unscrew your spark plug cap (counter clockwise), unplug the "orange" wire from the wire harness...check for continuity between the orange wire and the "core" of the ignition coil (meaning the metal part of the coil were the screws go thru to mount it) You should Primary winding resistance of 1.0 ohms +- 10%. If not change the coil. Now to check the "secondary winding resistance", (this is why you removed the spark plug cap).. check the ohms between "the core and the end of the spark plug wire"..You should have 5.9k ohms +- 20%...If not change the coil. I recommend you take a small section off the coil wire (with dikes) to promote a good mating surface for your spark plug cap to screw back into....(this could be the problem also ). Give these tests a try and let me know. Sorry it seem like such a long post, but if I didn't expain it this way I don't know if you'd understand the procedures. Later Dave
ok i tried and everything was how it was supposed to be but the brown and black wire out the cdi box, nothing to the black and 0.5 to the brown. now what should i be looking for?
Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
ok i tried and everything was how it was supposed to be but the brown and black wire out the cdi box, nothing to the black and 0.5 to the brown. now what should i be looking for?
You need to check the readings on the wire harness side. Not the cdi side. later dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha