lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Total Charge II Charger

I have a 1992 Total Charge II Charger for an Ezgo Marathon. A few years ago we had a problem going on with the electricity outside where the charger was plugged into the wall at the time and the charger ended up having a fried circuit broad due to the Electrical problem we were having because when we opened up the charger so we could Test things everything we tested seemed fine, And then we found part of the circuit board was melted black and was breaking to pieces so the board is bad but everything else is fine.

My Question is what kind of board do I get for this charger, I cant find a board for a Total Charge II Charger what do I do?

Thanks,

Matt
pjmia96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge II Charger

First, make sure basic charger works.
Bypass the relay on the blown board or in other words hot wire AC power to the transformer's primary.

When connected to cart, the ammeter should jump up into the 20A neighborhood and then taper off to about 8A as the battery pack's on-charge voltage passes through about 42.5V.

With new batteries being charged for the first time, it will take several hours (maybe 12 or more) to fully charge them.
The normal cut-off voltage is from 44V to 46V, so I'd let it run until the on-charge voltage was about 45V.

The important thing is to fully charge the new batteries before first use.
And then break them in properly so you obtain maximum storage capacity.
Here is how to break them in: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

If the basic charger is working, you can adapt a control board from a different model charger. You will loose the front panel LED meter and some other bells and whistles, but the Ammeter will still work.

Here is a manual for a Powerwise. Just connect the control board as show, making sure it is securely mounted and isolated and it'll think it is a Powerwise charger.

If the basic charger doesn't work, we'll have to troubleshoot further.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 08-23-2012 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Forgot attachment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

What you want is perf board. You can get it with copper clad, or just the board and run jumper wires.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-Boards/1.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Post Re: Total Charge II Charger

I like both those ideas but I have actually came up with an Easier one. I have an Extra Power wise charger that went to my 2000 TXT with a blown fuse. I will replace the Fuse so it works again and then I will change the Plug on the end to the Marathon Model. That should work but How do I change the plugs? Would it be easier to swap just the plug end or the Whole entire wire itself with the plug on it?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-36-Volt...item3a6f6e511e
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the diodes first, no sense in blowing another expensive fuse.

Either replacing the whole output cable or just the plug will work.
Replacing just the plug might be easier since you won't have to deal with the strain relief, which can be a Royal PITA if you don't have the right tool.
The third wire (Red?) in the cable should be connected to the negative terminal in the Marathon type plug.

on the other hand, it looks like Kab found a control board that will work in the TC-II
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
pjmia96
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think I will try to change the plug ends on the Power wise charger first and if that doesn't work I will go with Kabs Idea.

Thanks Guys

Tags
charger, charger not working, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO