lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
TexasRhino
Not Yet Wild

Default GTW lift - repair or replace

In 2019 we bought a refurbished 2015 Club Car Precedent electric with a GTW 6” lift and 23x10r14 wheel and tire setup. It is used at our ranch for hunting and getting around the land for chores, primarily driving through fields and down cleared trails. From day one this cart road like crap. Recently we noticed the front leaf spring had cracked and will need to be replaced. After examining the front suspension it appears the shocks used are very short, only about 1” of travel before they bottom out. We are not trying to rock crawl with our cart but we would like it to ride comfortably, so I’m wondering if this is a lift worth fixing or should I just replace it. I’m familiar with truck lifts, and usually the “economical lifts” like GTW seems to be, are also the worst riding lifts out there. We recently replaced the 23x10r14 tire combo with a 22x11r8 set, and even with a bust leaf spring it already rides significantly better.
TexasRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Re: GTW lift - repair or replace

I installed an All Sports 6" long travel on my 2013 Precedent and its awesome.. smoothed the ride out to a point where its almost as smooth as my wife's SUV.

I got the stock coil-over shocks and wish I had gone with something stiffer as my fat butt makes the cart lean when I'm on it alone.

Took 9 months of waiting to get the kit.. that's one hell of a backorder time.

If your springs are cracked or weak, then I would think that's what is responsible for compressing the shocks. Maybe you just need a new spring?
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #3
TMZ222
Getting Wild
Club Car

I went with a Jakes long travel I think if you can get a hold of any long travel suspension you’ll never go back to a regular lift kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CFB45842-16B0-45D8-A042-A0B9FAD113AB.jpg (181.3 KB, 0 views)
TMZ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Ryann8786
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMZ222 View Post
I went with a Jakes long travel I think if you can get a hold of any long travel suspension you’ll never go back to a regular lift kit.
I see you have the sgc as well. How does that compare to the Jakes?

I am having the same exact issue as this thread author. Cracked leaf spring and all. I did take a leaf out of my rear HD spring, however I still may replace again, with a dual action.
Ryann8786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
Ryann8786
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRhino View Post
In 2019 we bought a refurbished 2015 Club Car Precedent electric with a GTW 6” lift and 23x10r14 wheel and tire setup. It is used at our ranch for hunting and getting around the land for chores, primarily driving through fields and down cleared trails. From day one this cart road like crap. Recently we noticed the front leaf spring had cracked and will need to be replaced. After examining the front suspension it appears the shocks used are very short, only about 1” of travel before they bottom out. We are not trying to rock crawl with our cart but we would like it to ride comfortably, so I’m wondering if this is a lift worth fixing or should I just replace it. I’m familiar with truck lifts, and usually the “economical lifts” like GTW seems to be, are also the worst riding lifts out there. We recently replaced the 23x10r14 tire combo with a 22x11r8 set, and even with a bust leaf spring it already rides significantly better.
I literally had just listed a post, before I found this one. It was as follows: I am in the same situation; I don't feel like the GTW is worth fixing.

I have a 2016 club car precedent, Stretched. I have abused my GTW 6" lift, to where I eventually broke the leaf spring. It was continually sagging further and further. I raised it back up, by making new spacers. Eventually the leaf failed. Needing a quick fix, I attempted to replace the leaf spring all together with some coil over shocks I found on ebay. I found a previous thread here and most people had success. That did make it ride slightly smoother, however now I am getting too much movement, and it will not hold alignment. I can put force on the wheels and actually see the bushings shifting. I may just be able to replace the bushings, however my time is valuable, and if I am going to go through any more effort, I would rather do it right, and just get a new lift kit. I am also very prioritized in making it ride smoother.

I am leaning towards the Jakes Long travel, however I have not been able to find many examples of them being installed on a club car precedent. I am concerned with the wider stance, to where I would need to put spacers on the rear wheels. I am also concerned with the appearance. I have the front led headlight with blinkers, and would like to keep it.

Allsports I have seen good reviews about; Again; not seeing many examples for club car precedents.

SGC; Steeleng; I have considered it. Con; it is not long travel, however a pro is that is less than half the price of my other two considerations. I was initially worried about the OEM bracket being able support all the shock and weight of the cart; After running my modified setup, I think it is fine, however suspension travel is not much. Also, with a stretched cart, I feel like I will be experiencing continued sag, and non stop alignments. My main reason for still considering this one, is that the look would not significantly change, and any future brush guards or headlight assemblies will still be compatible.

The guy above, looks to have both the SGC and the Jakes. I also try to sneak into tight spaces in the woods, I am worried about widened stance.
Ryann8786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
TMZ222
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryann8786 View Post
I see you have the sgc as well. How does that compare to the Jakes?

I am having the same exact issue as this thread author. Cracked leaf spring and all. I did take a leaf out of my rear HD spring, however I still may replace again, with a dual action.
The SGC is just OK I guess after comparing it to the Jakes there’s not much comparison there’s nowhere near the amount of travel it does look nice it would be much better if you could remove the coil springs which can be done and swapped out for some that are not as stiff there is very little movement in them after trying to push down on the front end the preload is way way too much.
The Jake system is far superior and the stance is not as wide as you see in my picture I do have spacers not only in the front but also the rear, I have it this way because the cart is tapping out 48 Mph along with the 26 inch tires makes it much more stable with the wide stance.
TMZ222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts