lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
tcarter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Low Voltage

Hey all,

I'm new to golfcarts and just purchased a 91 or so MELEX 512E. One of the batteries had frozen and was split. I purchased a new 6 volt and put it in, cleaned all the post tightened everything up and attempted to charge. Not enough power in the batteries so I charged them individually and was then able to get the Lestronics 36v charger to work. I have charged it several times until the charger shuts off. I get a reading of 34 volts at the ends of both sets of batteries. The cart will move slightly ahead but barely enough to get going. Help help:
tcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Low Voltage

Welcome to BGW

If one battery froze and was damaged quite possibly others were damaged too. Sounds like you may have one or more bad batteries in the pack. It will only take one bad cell to cause symptoms you describe. Check each battery with a load tester and you may find the bad one. A volt meter will not always tell you the condition of a battery.

34 volts is well below what it should be. 36 volts is 80% of capacity and considered dead. You should see more voltage than 36.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
tcarter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty useless with electronics. I figure I can probably borrow a load tester from an auto parts store. How do you tell if the battery is bad? I hope to not have to replace all of the batteries, although that is probably the best resolution. I only paid $300 bucks for the cart and charger. I'm into it another $100 for a new 6 volt. Is that a bad price for a 6 volt? I really appreciate your help. I prefer to fix things myself and this site is great for that type of person. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum tcarter................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
tcarter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the batteries with a load tester. Looks like I have two that are useless and one that is on the brink. I'll have to purchase some more batteries. Thanks, for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts