lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Which wire to tap into RXV

Which wire should I tap to add a stereo with memory to my rxv. I was wanting to use 1 of the four on the key switch.

My goal is to have the radio turn off when the cart is turned off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190530_153335.jpg (118.6 KB, 0 views)
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which wire to tap into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
Which wire should I tap to add a stereo with memory to my rxv. I was wanting to use 1 of the four on the key switch.

My goal is to have the radio turn off when the cart is turned off.
Don't tap into ANY wire. You'll kill the controller. Here's the only place to get what you need. This needs to be the trigger wire for a 12 volt relay. How will you get 12 volts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190520_114605049.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Don't tap into ANY wire. You'll kill the controller. Here's the only place to get what you need. This needs to be the trigger wire for a 12 volt relay. How will you get 12 volts?
Ok. I have a 48v to 12v converter with a 6 breaker box a negate 6 wire bus bar(not sure what it's called) my setup is the positive & negative from the 48v series go into the converter. The 12v + from converter coming out goes to the fuse box. Each accessories + goes to that box with proper amp fuse. The negative from converter goes to bus and all accessory - wires go there.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
Ok. I have a 48v to 12v converter with a 6 breaker box a negate 6 wire bus bar(not sure what it's called) my setup is the positive & negative from the 48v series go into the converter. The 12v + from converter coming out goes to the fuse box. Each accessories + goes to that box with proper amp fuse. The negative from converter goes to bus and all accessory - wires go there.
In that case, couldn't you just hook up your 12 volt reducer like the diagram kgsc wrote up? If you reducer doesn't have a trigger wire, you'll want to use a relay. When you turn off the key, all accessories turn off. That's the way mine is, but I killed my reducer, so I have an Aux battery now.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
In that case, couldn't you just hook up your 12 volt reducer like the diagram kgsc wrote up? If you reducer doesn't have a trigger wire, you'll want to use a relay. When you turn off the key, all accessories turn off. That's the way mine is, but I killed my reducer, so I have an Aux battery now.
Ok. I'm not electrically incline at all. Point me at a relay. Who sells a good one, etc...
Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Which reducer do you have, make and model number. If yours has a trigger wire, there's no need for a relay.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Which reducer do you have, make and model number. If yours has a trigger wire, there's no need for a relay.
Higomall Voltage Converter Regulator Reducer DC 48V Step Down to 12V 30A 360W Waterproof DC/DC Buck Transformer for Golf Cart LED Light Bar Power Supply. 4 wires. 2 in 2 out.

https://www.amazon.com/Higomall-Conv.../dp/B07JZG71TC

6 way blade fuse box
Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

DC/DC Buck Transformer? Sorry, but that's pretty funny.

You'll need a 48 volt relay. Lacking rated input amps, it's 12 volt 30 amps out. Ideally, that would mean 7.5 amps @ 48 volts. Allowing for losses, I'd go for at least 10 amps. I'd just go to my parts bin, but a quick search turned up this:

https://www.amazon.com/Potter-Brumfi.../dp/B00JRFEB54

Data sheet:

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1928625.pdf

T9AP1D52-48-01 can be found cheaper if you shop around, like Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.

You simply connect relay's coil to pack negative and the solenoid shown on kgsc's diagram. That will allow relay to close (turn on) with key on and open (turn off) with key off.

Then you would connect reducer's negative input to pack negative. Pack positive would go to one pole on the relay. The other pole on the relay would go to reducer positive input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reducer.jpg (81.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

This drawing I made is not for 12v relays, or 12v stereos. It is how to connect the 48v side of your DC converter to a rxv. The solenoid in my drawing is the carts main 48v solenoid, it isn't a 12v relay.
Attached Images
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
DC/DC Buck Transformer? Sorry, but that's pretty funny.

You'll need a 48 volt relay. Lacking rated input amps, it's 12 volt 30 amps out. Ideally, that would mean 7.5 amps @ 48 volts. Allowing for losses, I'd go for at least 10 amps. I'd just go to my parts bin, but a quick search turned up this:

https://www.amazon.com/Potter-Brumfi.../dp/B00JRFEB54

Data sheet:

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1928625.pdf

T9AP1D52-48-01 can be found cheaper if you shop around, like Newark, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.

You simply connect relay's coil to pack negative and the solenoid shown on kgsc's diagram. That will allow relay to close (turn on) with key on and open (turn off) with key off.

Then you would connect reducer's negative input to pack negative. Pack positive would go to one pole on the relay. The other pole on the relay would go to reducer positive input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
This drawing I made is not for 12v relays, or 12v stereos. It is how to connect the 48v side of your DC converter to a rxv. The solenoid in my drawing is the carts main 48v solenoid, it isn't a 12v relay.
I never told him to buy a 12 volt relay. The coil I posted above is 48 volts. I clearly told him to follow your diagram for an RXV safe switched pack positive. Nothing more. I never said it was 12 volts.

"The solenoid in my drawing is the carts main 48v solenoid, it isn't a 12v relay." Where did I say the solenoid was a 12 volt relay?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO