lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
BrandonCMG909
Not Yet Wild

Default I need a battery EXPERT!

Hey everyone,

Im new to this site and to carts in general. This is my first post, so I hope Im not asking a dumb question.

I recently saw a show on TV about an aftermarket hybrid company that took regular AA batteries and configured them into a 12vlt battery. They were able to use enough batteries to get the same output. They then took several of these batteries and powered a small car with it. Obviously this is possible because I saw it on TV, and you can always trust TV . My question is, how many AA batteries would it take to make one 12vlt car battery, and how would you wire them up to get the correct voltage and amperage? Would you have to run some in series, and some in parrallel? How would this work? Thanks in advance for any help.
BrandonCMG909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
BrandonCMG909
Not Yet Wild

Default I need a battery EXPERT!

Hey everyone,

Im new to this site and to carts in general. This is my first post, so I hope Im not asking a dumb question.

I recently saw a show on TV about an aftermarket hybrid company that took regular AA batteries and configured them into a 12vlt battery. They were able to use enough batteries to get the same output. They then took several of these batteries and powered a small car with it. Obviously this is possible because I saw it on TV, and you can always trust TV . My question is, how many AA batteries would it take to make one 12vlt car battery, and how would you wire them up to get the correct voltage and amperage? Would you have to run some in series, and some in parrallel? How would this work? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: I need a battery EXPERT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCMG909 View Post
Hey everyone,

Brandon....I think you might be watching "info commercials" alittle to late at night. I saw the same thing on youtube and altough I "thought about it....Lead makes batteries what they are...and AA batteries don't have that much lead. Keep asking questions...You may be the one that figures out..Hydgeyn fuel cells (where taking water) or propetualmotion! Don't laugh because I can't spell! Please don't stop asking questions! Later dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
disguy
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Here’s a rough example of what you’d be looking at if you wanted to replace my existing batteries with AA’s:
I’m using 6-12volt EnerSys DataSafe HX500 series batteries in my 84 Champion Cruiser. They are 506000 mAh each. A normal Alcaline AA battery is around 1700 mAh in which you would need 8 of them in series to equal 12 volts. Thus you would need to parallel 298 of these 8 AA battery packs together to equal one of my 12 volt batteries. That would be a total of 2,384 AA batteries. In order to reach the same capacity as I have with 6 batteries you would need a total of 14,304 AA’s, if my math is correct. You would also have to keep in mind the current capacity of the AA battery itself, and whether it could withstand the inrush or initial draw that would be pulled from it.
Just My 2 Cents…
disguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
BrandonCMG909
Not Yet Wild

Hey, thanks a lot for your input. Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks again!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum BrandonCMG909...............

......... and good luck charging the AA batteries.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
gsxrfan
Gone Wild

I am buying stock in all of the AA battery companies...LOL!!
gsxrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
jsalpine
Not Yet Wild

I am sure they were using nicad AA batteries which are rechargeable like the ones in old portable phones. If you could come up with enough of them they would work better than traditional 6 volts because they charge a lot faster.
p.s. your math is wrong
jsalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalpine View Post
I am sure they were using nicad AA batteries which are rechargeable like the ones in old portable phones. If you could come up with enough of them they would work better than traditional 6 volts because they charge a lot faster.
p.s. your math is wrong
Don't just say it. Please tell everyone just how many it will take so we know. If you did the math it should be easy.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

Rechargeable AA batteries are typically 1.2v each (non rechargeable are 1.5v each), so, it would take 10 rechargeable AA's to equal 12v.... I haven't looked at amperage of the AA's in a while, so that part I can't confirm right now, sorry.

Either way, it'd take a whole heck of a lot of AA's to equal the voltage AND amperage (by running series/parallel banks of them) to equal the output of a typical cart setup.

As an added note to this, I believe the Tesla (or one of the other electric car designs) was originally designed with cordless phone batteries. Large quantities of NiMH batteries. Now they use Lithium Ion... I could be mistaken though.

While using the Li-Ion could result in a longer range, and faster charge times, it would also cost you so many times more than what your cart cost, it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Imagine the size/weight of the pack required to run the cart too! WOW!
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts