lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
busman9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Angry Charger inop

I have a 1979 ezgo charger that will charge for 3 min. And then kick off. The timer has never worked but when you turn the timer on there is a big spark. The charger just hums. If you let the charger sit for a while and then plug it back in it will charge for minutes before it kicks out. How do i diagnose this. Thanks
busman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger inop

Which charger do you have? (IE: Manufacturer's name? Model Number/ Name? or a picture of faceplate.)

Sounds like something is drawing a lot of current, so it could be a cable or a battery problem instead of a charger problem.

Have you tried that charger on a different cart or a different charger on your cart?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
busman9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The charger is an ezgo,serial # 7915327. The other carts i have have the newer syle chargers not like this one with a 220 type plug. When i tryed to plug it in this am there were sparks at the plugs
Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm trying to narrow it down to at least which general type of the dozen or so chargers it might be. Does the faceplate look like this?

Also, describe the prongs on the AC plug.
Looking at the plug with the prongs pointing toward you and the round pin at the bottom.
Are both flat prongs horizontal or is just the one on the right horizontal?

Better yet, which of the attached NEMA configurations matches the plug?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEMA 5-15P.jpg (10.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg NEMA 5-20P.jpg (9.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg NEMA 6-15P.jpg (9.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg NEMA 6-20P.jpg (9.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-18-2011 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Added NEMA configuration attachments
Old 12-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
busman9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Angry Re: Charger inop

Please view the pictures. My plug is different than all of yours. I do not know the history of this cart,trying to help a buddy. I also think there is a wiring problem but have not found a wire diagram that seems to match this 1980 resistor cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1163.jpg (198.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1164.jpg (100.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1165.jpg (126.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman9 View Post
1.The other carts i have have the newer syle chargers not like this one with a 220 type plug. When i tryed to plug it in this am there were sparks at the plugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by busman9 View Post
2.Please view the pictures. My plug is different than all of yours.

3.I do not know the history of this cart,trying to help a buddy. I also think there is a wiring problem but have not found a wire diagram that seems to match this 1980 resistor cart.
1. Hopefully you are not plugging this charger into a 220VAC outlet.
The label says to plug into 115V AC.

2. Just priming the information pump.
I didn't anticipate anyone putting a 30A 125/250 VAC plug on a 115 VAC device that draws less than 15A.
FWIW: That's a NEMA 10-30P for a 3-wire Non-Grounded circuit that has 30A rating for both 125V and 250V.

3. Attached is a schematic for a Lester 8714 charger. The parts list probably isn't the same for your charger, but they are electrically the same.

If you are trying to find a schematic or wiring diagram for the cart, pictures of what's under the seat would help identify which one it is.
Some used a manual switch to select the resistor coils, others used a bunch of solenoids to select them.

---------------
Oooops! Took a closer look at the pictures of the charger. The oddball plug isn't on the AC Power cord, it's used as the charger output, so is there a matching 10-30R receptacle on the cart?

Please be aware, that is a very dangerous arrangement. The charger can be turned on just by setting the timer and then you have exposed voltage (about 50VDC) that will put about 25A through anything that touches the two output blades on the plug. Basically, it's an arc-welder.

The "Automatic Charger" on the label either refers to the way the transformer and capacitor pair up to limit the maximum initial current to about 25A and then tapers off as the battery voltage increases during the recharging process, or that it has a timer to shut it off. By today's standards, it is considered a manual charger rather than an automatic one.

Before plugging this charger in again, I would trace everything out with an Ohmmeter. There should be a fuse block on the output side that may have been bypassed by whoever put the strange output cable on it. They might have blown if you got sparks.

Make sure the diodes are good. If you cannot find a heat-sink assemble, you can bore holes in it and replace the press-fit diodes with stud mount diode.
(DO-5 case, cathode connected to stud ---- Here's a picture of 1N1188 diodes being used, but I'd up the ampacity a bit if I were doing it))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diode view.jpg (284.2 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lester 08714 manual charger 00103_d.pdf (47.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-19-2011 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: added comments and modified heatsink picture
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

OK so not being a sparky I know that I am trespassing here but would busman9 not be better off replacing the charger with something inexpensive such as
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod1841149
than trying to repair that hideously antique (not to mention butchered) pos?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
OK so not being a sparky I know that I am trespassing here but would busman9 not be better off replacing the charger with something inexpensive such as

Dave
I haven't seen any No Trespassing signs.

I agree that busman9's buddy would be better off with an automatic charger rather than a manual one, but I got the impression he (they) wanted to fix it.

Ironically, the same basic design (ferroresonant transformer circuit) is being sold today. The difference being that the timer has been replaced with a control board.
If the transformer is good, which it seems to be, everything else can be replaced and if the timer is replaced with a control board, it becomes a true automatic charger.
Granted, it takes some technical skills and knowledge to do it.

Also, as a completely manual charger, it is useful for bringing badly discharged batteries up to a voltage that will activate an automatic charger and for equalizing battery packs.

Of course, being sort of an antique myself, I'm biased towards keeping antiques in good operating condition.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Of course, being sort of an antique myself, I'm biased towards keeping antiques in good operating condition.

I hear that

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post

Dave
NOOOO!!! Not Sam's Club again!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO