lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
BRV1960
Not Yet Wild

Cool DS OBC charging problem

Hi guys. I posted several days back about my charger not working or at least not coming on when I plug it in on my 2007 ds 48 volt cart. Used to work until I took the cart right apart and had some welding done on it with the batteries out. I just tested the charger on another clubcar and it works fine. Does this mean my OBC is hooped? The fuse link and fuse are fine and I have continuity from the grey wire at the receptacle up to the obc. I've tried resetting the computer about 10 times and there's never the buzzer going off (not sure how it could with the batteries unhooked) or any sign of anything for the 5-10 minutes during reset. Does that mean the obc got fried somehow during the weld? The cart works fine other than that. I did also unhook each battery and charge them with a 12 volt charger individually to make sure it wasn't a low voltage problem with the obc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
BRV1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: DS OBC charging problem

yeah i remember, i think i told you to try charger on another cart......ok so its your cart .............more than likely OBC thats all that controls charger......as to why it failed?? anything from here would be a guess but its odd that it worked until cart was welded on.........................if the fuse on the rear of the charge receptical is good and your sure there were no wires burnt thur while welding i would replace OBC...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
BRV1960
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Shadowman ... I was hoping you'd reply. I checked the grey wire from the receptacle to the the obc and it was good. Some wires did get hot (the outer protective sleeve which the wires go into got a bit melted but not too bad) during the weld. I did have a look and they seemed to be okay when I pulled them out of the sleeve ... perhaps I should check them again. It was the group that goes to the front on the passenger side of the cart where it tees off to the reverse/forward switch and keeps going to the front ignition switch and some little black box under the passengers floor.

I think I'll just recheck to make sure the wires are okay under there. Do you know if those wires have anything to do with the charger/battery circuit? Thanks for your help .. it's greatly appreciated. Oh, I also did put a speed gizmo on from http://www.digitaloverdrivesystems.com to increase the speed before I tried the charger after I got it back together. I've since disconnected it and didn't make a difference with the charger. At any rate I'll do some more checking with my wires and if it seems that all is good I'll just order a obc I guess. I gotta get to the golf course again.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes double check never hurts.....you wouldn,t beleive how many wire problems are found when checking everything that was ok the 1st time.......the fuse i,m talking about isn,t the grey wire fuse but right on the backside of your charge receptical on the cart the thing you plug charger into on the backside of it under seat right on top theres a fuse its black with a clear plastic window and what looks like a peice of solder running thur it.......kind of football shaped clear window.....make sure that fuse isn,t melted..........it should be good if cart runs because i beleive if its bad cart will not run or charge but i,m not 100% certain on the cart running part so check it..............if its good and your wires are ok and you said cart runs ok just won,t charge yes i,d replace OBC............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
BRV1960
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: DS OBC charging problem

Checked that fuse on the backside and it's okay as well. I'll double check those other wires too just to make sure b-4 I spend a couple hundred on a new obc. Thanks for your time and help ... much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Found this info in another thread, instructions per ScottyB . . . a means to bypass the OBC to verify charger and determine if your OBC is bad:

"The black wire coming out of charge recepticle has a yellow fuse holder, open it up and connect a jumper from the end coming out of recepticle the the negative on Battery 6 or the last one in series. Plug in the charger if it comes on your OBC is most likely TOAST."

I am assuming this is good info . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
BRV1960
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Steve. I have already verified that the charger works as I tried it on a different cart a few days ago. It's the obc that I think is the problem for whatever reason or else a bad wire somewhere close to where the welder did his welding and melted the protective conduit a bit. I could try that and see if it is indeed the obc I guess as doing what you suggest would bypass the obc it seems. Thanks for your input. I'll let you all know what the problem is when I get it fixed.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Probably an OBC failure but I doubt the welding had anything to do with it. Although the OBC is bolted directly to the frame, the circuitry inside it is completely isolated from the frame. It shouldn't affect it at all.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Often
Bad
Component
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
BRV1960
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: DS OBC charging problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Probably an OBC failure but I doubt the welding had anything to do with it. Although the OBC is bolted directly to the frame, the circuitry inside it is completely isolated from the frame. It shouldn't affect it at all.
Thanks for your input. Any thoughts on how I may have toasted the thing if you don't feel it was the welding? I just don't know much about these things and I surely don't want to do the same to the next one at $200.00/pop.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car