lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
dat1938
Not Yet Wild

Default voltage check on solenoid

I have an EZGO 05 PDS with the freedom chip that is running fine. I haven't had it long & got to checking some things & noticed that I had a jumper wire across the big terminals on the solenoid. I want to check to see if the solenoid coil is getting voltage. I know to put it in tow mode & disconnect the wires on the minus terminal on the battery before I take the cover off to the controller area. This I have done to get to the solenoid. I want to put the wires back on the battery & check for voltage on the small terminals at the solenoid. Now here is where I would like for you to give me tips on how to hold one meter lead on the solenoid post & the other meter lead on the battery & press on the accelerator all at the same time. It is my understanding that I have to press on the accelerator to pick up a micro switch there before I will get power to the solenoid. I guess I could put a brick on the pedal when testing but I thought some of you had other tricks when doing this check.
dat1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: voltage check on solenoid

I do not understand why you are doing this if the cart is running fine? One wrong move under the environmental cover could cost you hundreds of dollars...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
dat1938
Not Yet Wild

I am doing this because the jumper aceoss the big terminals takes the solenoid out of the run circuit & the cart will run with the key off. And just in case you wonder if the key switch is good, it was replaced.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay Cart is not running fine then .... only running with a jumper cable from one large post to the other on the solenoid?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat1938 View Post
I have an EZGO 05 PDS with the freedom chip that is running fine. I haven't had it long & got to checking some things & noticed that I had a jumper wire across the big terminals on the solenoid. I want to check to see if the solenoid coil is getting voltage. I know to put it in tow mode & disconnect the wires on the minus terminal on the battery before I take the cover off to the controller area. This I have done to get to the solenoid. I want to put the wires back on the battery & check for voltage on the small terminals at the solenoid. Now here is where I would like for you to give me tips on how to hold one meter lead on the solenoid post & the other meter lead on the battery & press on the accelerator all at the same time. It is my understanding that I have to press on the accelerator to pick up a micro switch there before I will get power to the solenoid. I guess I could put a brick on the pedal when testing but I thought some of you had other tricks when doing this check.
Describe this "jumper" between the large terminals???

And I agree with scotty. ?????
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

PG ..... if the cart was 'running fine" I assumed the "jumper" was the resistor he saw? Lets see what he has got? Did you buy the cart with the jumper on it?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
dat1938
Not Yet Wild

The jumper is a wire that runs from one big post to the other big post on the solenoid. I guess I should have said that it runs fine with the jumper in place. Now, back to the question.......any tricks when testing other than the brick on the accelerator.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
dat1938
Not Yet Wild

It is not the wire with the resistor. It is an extra wire & yes I bought the cart with it on there.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Place the cart on jack stands so the rear wheels are safely off the ground. Remove the 'jumper'. does the cart run? If no. With the voltmeter set to 200v range put the test leads on the two SMALL terminals of the solenoid. Standing on one leg (your left) push the gas with your right. You should have 36v at the activation circuit with the key on and cart in gear.

I like to use a wire with 2 alligator clips from one terminal to one test lead so I don't have to stand on one leg
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
dat1938
Not Yet Wild

Thanks ..............that is exactly what I will do
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO