lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Question Electric fuel pump

ok so i eliminated the fuel pump on my par car and bought a 2-4psi electric fuel pump on eBay cause its the lowest psi could find and i hooked everything up today and it started and ran but is now getting to much fuel. Infact its leaking out of the car and filling up air cleaner. I don't know if there is a better fuel pump i should use that is 1-2psi maybe or something close to that? has anyone else had this prob?
tj086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Electric fuel pump

That pump should work. The only thing blocking the incoming fuel is the float needle valve. It may be stuck, fell off, or worn out. You may have to rebuild your carb or it may be as simple as adjusting the fuel screws on it. What carb do you have?

If you had the regular vacuum pump you likely would still have this problem.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Almost without a doubt, your crank seals need replaced.

A fuel pump only delivers gas to the carb. The carb allows it to be delivered to the cylinder, mixing it with air as it goes. The fuel adjustment screw on your carb can, literally, stop the flow of gas altogether. As such, it's really impossible for the pump to be delivering too much fuel since the fuel adjustment controls that, not the pump.

Now, once the fuel is in the carb and mixes with air good engine vacuum sucks it into the cylinder for combustion. If the crank seals are bad there is not enough vacuum to suck the gas / air mix into the cylinder and the gas exits the carb via the path of least resistance........the air cleaner. Indeed, gas soaked air filters are a sure sign of good fuel delivery, bad crank seals.

The only other thing you want to check is the reed valve. If one of those reeds are broken you'll have the same symptom, gas flowing to the air cleaner. Checking the reed is pretty easy so you might as well do it but those are pretty durable. I would bet on crank seals.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

One last thing to think about:

The non-electric fuel pumps also need good engine vacuum to work. It's the same logic in that, essentially, the engine sucks gas from the tank to the carb (via the vacuum pump of course). When the seals are starting to wear the vacuum is good enough to get the gas / air mix from the carb to the motor but not good enough to suck the gas from the tank to the carb. Oftentimes, an electric pump will overcome the seal deterioration and the engine will still work fine. This is why a lot of guys go with the electric pumps. They buy a lot of time for older seals. I like them because they don't back flow, don't lose prime, and deliver consistent gas no matter what the rest of the engine is doing.

Again, check that reed valve but I really do think you'll probably need seals. Replacing them is a pain but it's a do it's yourself job for sure that can be done in an afternoon. Getting the primary clutch off to get to the rear seal is probably the hardest part.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
tj086
Not Yet Wild

I do understand with the information i gave why you would think that but i wasn't full detailed. The engine is brand new 0 hrs on crank seals and reeds the only thing stock is engine cases and frame. So the gas will poor out of the carb as soon as i turn the key on even before the engine has time to crank over 1rpm. but what is really helpful is there is a screw adjustment i can use to effect the flow. i was gonna just start my motor for the first time and adjust the screws until it sounded good, with knowing this obviously i left my screw out to far possible. i will find fuel screw flow adjustment and re-post results i suppose..
Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Walbro carb 1994 columbia par car 2 cycle with oil injection removed.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 7.42.08 PM.jpg

which screw number where you talking about?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

If you have the stock carb, it is a Walbro WHL 11.

Let's play out your scenario:
You turn on the key. Electric fuel pump comes on. Before the engine even cranks you have fuel pouring out of the carb overflowing into the air clearner.

Now. There is only one thing that keeps the fuel pump pressure (electric or vacuum pump or gravity feed or any other kind of pump) out of the bowl and that is the float needle valve. Your float needle valve isn't seating which is allowing the fuel to flood the bowl and passages and run out of the orifices of the carb.

You will have to take your carb apart and check the condition and/or adjustment of the float and float needle valve. More than likely you're going to need a rebuild kit. The carb kit for the WHL 11 is: K1-WHL

Another option is to buy another carb.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
tj086
Not Yet Wild

27?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
tj086
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Electric fuel pump

ok thank you for going through that with me. yes i have rebuilt the carb and just have not ran the motor yet after i rebuilt literally everything but motor cases. and yes i trust you are right i will adjust the needle and repost tomorrow and see how is goes. I'm sure its up to high maybe or something.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar