lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Controller-Pro (Alltrax) data monitoring and logging.

Warning: Technical content.

Tinfoil hat optional, but recommended.

As many of you know, I'm a compulsive number cruncher and detail monger.

I was crunching some numbers in the log files saved on my laptop by Controller-Pro when it is connected to my DCX500 while I driving the cart, and finally realized the kilo-Watt input to my motor appeared to be too high for the carts performance and motor heat gain I get.

Field Current isn't one of the parameters monitored by Controller-Pro (It was probably written for the AXE and not completely updated when the DCX was introduced), but Field Current is typically about 10% of Armature Current, and that was close enough for my needs.

However, I wasn't sure if the column labeled "Output Current" was Armature current plus Field current, or Armature alone, so I e-mailed Alltrax's help-desk. I also asked what the "Battery Current" column was, where "Battery Voltage" was measured, where the controller temperature was measured and if "Throttle Position" was a function of the throttle input signal or the PWM duty cycle of the output.

I was right about the DCX being the step-child in the Controller-Pro software.
The field current is not monitored or logged by Controller-Pro.

Battery voltage is measured between the controllers B- and B+ bus bars

Controller temperature (Diode Temperature on the log file) is measured on the bus bar (M-) that the MOSFETs that feed the Armature are mounted on.

Throttle position is the PWM duty cycle. (It is a percent, so divide by 100 if you use it in calculations)

Battery current is Output current multiplied by the Throttle position.

Output current is actually peak current going to the armature while the Armature MOSFETS are turned on. The MOSFETS turn on and off 18,000 times a second and peak current flows only when on, so you have to multiply peak amps by the PWM duty cycle to get effective (or average) current flow through the armature windings.

-----------
Recalculating using the Battery Voltage and Battery Current columns, I find the highest kilo-Watt input to my motor that I have recorded is 9.8kW rather than the 20.1kW I had previously thought. Which in turn drops the highest Input HP recorded down from 27.0HP to 13.1HP.

------------
Bottom Line:

For an AXE type controller (series wound motor), the data provided is fairly complete.

For DCX type controllers (which are actually two controllers in one box), it lacks Field voltage, Field current and Field bus bar temperature values.
(It sure would be nice if it did.)

None of this applies to SPM controllers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO