lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Melex 3 wheeler conversion.

Top plate? I think what your talking about is mounted straight to the body. Keep in mind these old metal bodys were pretty stout, thats the only reason I mounted it there. Had no issues.

The 3 wheel forks are....well....on there. I had to destroy the fork assembly to get off what I needed to get off. I used a torch to cut it all off.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
made4mudd357
Gone Wild

The body on mine doesnt seem strong enough to go staight to so Im welding a plate to the frame and im going to tie into that as for the steering im goin to do what you did... this project should be a good learning experience ive only been welding since june so It should help me out lol
made4mudd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I have some more pictures of the build somewhere. I'll try and find/post them when I get a chance. Then you can better understand what I did and not make the same mistakes.

I wish I would have had a 4 wheeler front end, that takes a lot of work out of it. If I HAD TO do it all over again I would find a 4 wheeler to scrap.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
made4mudd357
Gone Wild

More Pics would be great what are the yokes you used on the steering from?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I wish I would have had a 4 wheeler front end, that takes a lot of work out of it. If I HAD TO do it all over again I would find a 4 wheeler to scrap.
Not to hijack this thread, but I recently bought 2 old Melex carts, a 3-wheeler in decent shape and a 4-wheeler in pretty rough shape. I'd like to end up with a 4-wheeler but much of the metal is rusted away on that one. It might be smarter to put the front off the 4-wheeler on the 3-wheeler cart. It looks like I could cut the frame at the same place on both carts and weld the 2-wheel front on the 3-wheel cart. What do you think?

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #16
made4mudd357
Gone Wild

try it
Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Here are some pictures of the

3 to 4 wheeler golf car conversion

. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and remember the steps I took. It's been several years.

The key to doing this was the plate in the upper part of the pic that ties the frame together and gives you a mounting point for the front suspension. You can see how the tubing I welded to the old steering/fork mount is used for the 4 wheel steering.

3 wheel to a 4 wheel golf cart conversion

Another veiw of the 3 wheeler conversion

3 wheeler conversion

I used 2000 lb trailer springs to lift the rear along with trailer shackles.

Melex lift

Keep in mind this was a "Prototype". There are many tings that could be improved upon, I'm just not gonna do it.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Monster Cart
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Your convesion looks good
Monster Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Cart View Post
Your convesion looks good
Thanks, that was done several years ago. I still have the cart but its currently being parted out for bigger and better projects. Just posting so others will get a general idea of how a golf cart can be converted from 3 to 4 wheel.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #20
gstoneberg
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Here are some pictures of the

3 to 4 wheeler golf car conversion

. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and remember the steps I took. It's been several years.

The key to doing this was the plate in the upper part of the pic that ties the frame together and gives you a mounting point for the front suspension. You can see how the tubing I welded to the old steering/fork mount is used for the 4 wheel steering.
Thanks for posting this. Now I want to tip both of my carts over on their tops and look at them closer. Right where you welded the plate between the frame rails was where I was thinking of cutting the frame on both carts and then grafting on the front with 2 wheels in place of the front with the single wheel. I've had the 4 wheel cart upside down but not the 3 wheel cart. This is great info. Thanks.

George
gstoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Melex