lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: cheap plasma cutter

They give you 4 sets with it and ebay has tons of them.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Made a S/G extender bracket today with the plasma cutter. I got an ax 32 belt to move the S/G away from the engine. Still plenty of space in my G14.Worked great even did a plunge cut to make a second hole in the bracket.Then used a HF step bit to clean up the hole.Sure beats drilling a pilot hole on 3/8 steel.Tried 90 psi on pressure. Did not see ant big difference on cuts but looks hard on the chineese input hose.Used #5 darkening lens in flip eye shield.I had used # 5 flip lens over my glasses before but felt some eye burn,suspect rays getting around them.Really a neat toy for $192.Yesterday cut all those tabs off the swing arm that held the belly shield on.A lot easier getting the plasma cutter head in the than any other cutting device.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Got all the fittings today to put the "whole system" air/water separator on my compressor.Between it and the one on the plasma cutter itself I should have VERY dry air going to it.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When I bought mine I was given extra consumables with it. I also was given a good deal to buy more with purchase of the cutter.

I've had the plasma cutter for a couple years now and still have plenty left. Once you get the hang of it they last quite a while.

The hardest part is getting an even cut. When doing freehand I tend to get a jagged cut. But when doing straight lines I've started using a guide. It works much better that way.

I also like the ability to replicate parts using the plasma cutter. I just make as many as I need and then clamp them together and grind to match.

I have a cutting torch too but since getting the plasma cutter all I really use the torch for is too heat and bend metal.

Anyone that has been wanting a plasma cutter and been on the fence, it's money well spent if you do much fab work with metal. Can't beat a $210 machine that will cut 1/2" metal.

One last thing, I like the ability to cut other metals besides just steel too. Sure saves time and blades when cutting aluminum.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I got a kit with 85 extra consumables coming I bought on ebay for $20 if the order didn't get blown up in china.Yes your right any cutting job you put off is a real snap with the plasma cutter.Did not want to spend $600-$800 but the $200 was a real incentive.Went to south jersey welding supply this a.m. to fill my 20 lb co2 tank for my soda stream rig and seen how much the miller,lincolns and hypertechs cost.Great machines if you have a shop but whole bunch of money if you are a amateur fabricator.Actually got a 3/4 piece from Mr. Chevy to try. It will cut it if you go slow,or go faster and make a second pass.He also had a piece of aluminum to try and it didn't melt or distort it just cut it like a hot knife thru butter.I am sure you know but it is a lot of fun when you first get the machine and are amazed at how well it works.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
sdz_designs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

@110v would these machines cut 1/4" steel?
Thats about as thick as I will be cutting.
sdz_designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Set mine up for 220.Can't say what it would do at 110.I guess you would only have 25 amps instead of 50.I am like all the others on youtube turn it up to 50 and watch the show.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM   #18
TJL
Gone Wild
Club Car

Is yours the cut50d? I think im going to get the cut50f. Hard to beat for under 300$. I have used a nice plasma cutter before but i dont really know about them. Apparently the cut50f has a pilot start? And thats supposed to be much better. Either way, under 300$ and i dont have to use my angle grinder so much and get black boogers...
TJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I can't find anything saying if it is a cut50 d or f.Looked at owners manual,sales invoice and machine itself. All just say cut 50, but it does have a pilot arc.And I certainly don't miss the dark boogers.Mr. chevy just gave me a piece of 3/8 inch thick 12 x 12 piece of steel to further fuel future projects.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdz_designs View Post
@110v would these machines cut 1/4" steel?
Thats about as thick as I will be cutting.
I was a child in garfield hts ohio and later parma hts ohio until moving to charlottesville Va.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop