lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #391
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

I got mine registered today, in Palm Beach county. It wasn't too bad a process.

I did all the conversion myself. The cart came with horn, headlights, taillights and brake lights. I added turn signals, seat belts, reflectors, the triangle, windshield, side mirrors, license plate bracket, and wiper. The worst part was replacing a perfectly good windshield with a $160 one that had the DOT engraving on it. If you have access to a CNC router or laser engraver I suggest doing it yourself. I also put on a back seat so I could get the cart titled as a 4P rather than a 2P.

Most of the parts came from Amazon vendors, so I printed out the order pages. The DMV accepted all of them. I had to pay sales tax on any receipt that didn't show tax collected, so you might want to edit any receipt you have.

I also had to trailer the cart out to a recycling yard and get a weight slip for it.

Once I got the cart ready I called the DMV and they gave me an appointment three weeks out. They also emailed me all of the forms, which I filled out as best I could.

On the big day I trailered the cart to DMV, where they first collected the $40 inspection fee. Then the nice lady looked the cart over, checked the turn signals and horn, checked the windshield for DOT markings, and noted the wiper, seatbelts, reflector, and triangle. She was pretty thorough.

Then we went inside and did the paperwork. I got all the forms wrong, so she gave me blank ones and told me how she wanted them filled out. While I filled out the forms she went out and put the VIN sticker on the steering column. When I got the paperwork right she sealed it all in the manila envelope I was directed to bring, using special DMW tape.

That was yesterday. Today I got insurance (about $450/year) and went to the tax collector's office with my sealed envelope. I didn't have a plate to use, so it was $200 for the plate, and $225 for fees, registration, and the sales tax I hadn't already paid. It took about another hour, and I left the office with a tag and registration.

So I spent the evening riding around in the cart with friends. I'm looking forward to the holiday season -- Halloween parade, Veteran's Day parade, Christmas parade, St. Paddy's Day, and just general riding around.
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #392
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I had a day just like that , a day of running around handing out money for a plate and a overpriced yellow sticker .

I got to say my inspector women spent more time looking for a place for the sticker then anything else. No DOT window needed on my visit .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #393
natez
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwilson View Post
I got mine registered today, in Palm Beach county. It wasn't too bad a process.

I did all the conversion myself. The cart came with horn, headlights, taillights and brake lights. I added turn signals, seat belts, reflectors, the triangle, windshield, side mirrors, license plate bracket, and wiper. The worst part was replacing a perfectly good windshield with a $160 one that had the DOT engraving on it. If you have access to a CNC router or laser engraver I suggest doing it yourself. I also put on a back seat so I could get the cart titled as a 4P rather than a 2P.

Most of the parts came from Amazon vendors, so I printed out the order pages. The DMV accepted all of them. I had to pay sales tax on any receipt that didn't show tax collected, so you might want to edit any receipt you have.

I also had to trailer the cart out to a recycling yard and get a weight slip for it.

Once I got the cart ready I called the DMV and they gave me an appointment three weeks out. They also emailed me all of the forms, which I filled out as best I could.

On the big day I trailered the cart to DMV, where they first collected the $40 inspection fee. Then the nice lady looked the cart over, checked the turn signals and horn, checked the windshield for DOT markings, and noted the wiper, seatbelts, reflector, and triangle. She was pretty thorough.

Then we went inside and did the paperwork. I got all the forms wrong, so she gave me blank ones and told me how she wanted them filled out. While I filled out the forms she went out and put the VIN sticker on the steering column. When I got the paperwork right she sealed it all in the manila envelope I was directed to bring, using special DMW tape.

That was yesterday. Today I got insurance (about $450/year) and went to the tax collector's office with my sealed envelope. I didn't have a plate to use, so it was $200 for the plate, and $225 for fees, registration, and the sales tax I hadn't already paid. It took about another hour, and I left the office with a tag and registration.

So I spent the evening riding around in the cart with friends. I'm looking forward to the holiday season -- Halloween parade, Veteran's Day parade, Christmas parade, St. Paddy's Day, and just general riding around.

DLWILSON who did you get your insurance through?
natez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #394
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i got mine though statefarm
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #395
dlwilson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got my insurance from SafeCo.
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #396
natez
Not Yet Wild

Can you PM me the coverages you got?
natez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #397
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

I also recently registered my cart in Palm Beach County. We bought it with a VIN so I didn't have to do the inspections. I tried to go to the downtown WPB tax office, and the Lake Worth tax office, and both had ridiculous wait times. So I showed up at the Palm Beach Gardens office at 8 AM, they opened at 8:15, and I was out the door by 8:45. My cost was $800 but that was for a Sherriff's plate, personalized, plus my unpaid sales tax, for two years. They gave me a real tag, not a paper tag, as a temp until my personalized tag comes in.

I got my insurance through USAA and I believe it's about $500/year.
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #398
Tomster
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

My USAA insurance for my cart costs me $94.12 per 6 mo cycle. I went with higher coverages to qualify for my umbrella. I believe I have 300/500, 100 property, 10 PIP, and ACV vehicle collision.

Shop around. My initial pricing with most people was in the $500/yr range, but USAA was much much less.
Tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #399
kobx
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I've submitted all the paper work and am waiting for the state to call and set up an appointment. Regarding the reflectors, do you need one on each side, one in the rear, and the triangle? Or is it OK to just have the ones on the side and the triangle (no additional reflector in the rear?)
kobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #400
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just got reflector tape and put them around the rear of the cart and that past. I would say more reflectors is better than not enough.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car