lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone fly ultralights ?

Interesting article, of course it's from the manufacturer. Ultralight soaring.

http://www.challenger.ca/ulsoaring.html
Blind Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #12
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I'm interested in Aerolite 103's. Looks to be well built and lots of options available.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

That's what I wanted to accomplish. Much like the cart....just roam around in the air ..

http://uflyit.com/aerolite_103_specifications.htm

Looks like almost turn key. With a choice of engines.

Compared to plans for a J-3 Kitten I was shown. Which also has removable wings. I would take the Kitten on but I'm old enough that I might not be able to finish it in time to use it.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #14
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

These are from 1984.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200913_145205.jpg (113.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:22 AM   #15
keithskye
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

I've owned many ultralights in the past, back in the early days of their development, and I've been a professional pilot for almost 40 years. What I can say is that yes, ultralights are a ton of fun - definitely a lot like a golf cart with wings (and even more fun on floats IMHO). They are, however, only as safe as the pilot. What I mean by that is that as with most aircraft, they are inherently safe and easy to operate by someone with the proper training, knowledge and good judgement required, but they are terribly unforgiving of mistakes or neglect.

For instance, I used to fold the wings and break down my first ultralights regularly for transport from my house to a flying field, and then one day witnessed someone crash when his wings folded up in flight, after which it was determined that he did not properly secure one of several key bolts that held all the flying wires in place. After that, I kept mine fully assembled and went so far as to safety wire and even lock nut every critical nut and bolt on the entire airframe.

Truly understanding aerodynamics and weather and aircraft performance is required, as well as coupling all that knowledge with good judgement, in order to be reasonably safe. It's a sad truth that the majority of aviation accidents are pilot error.

Whatever ultralight you choose to buy and fly, and how safe it proves to be will be almost entirely up to you. If you know what to look for, it's a pretty straightforward process to determine if a used ultralight is mechanically airworthy and safe. If you want to talk about it, give me a call.

Keith 928-706-8067
keithskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #16
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Keith,
Just a note to say thank you for your time on the phone with me, your kindness, knowledge, patience and thoughts.

Take a look at the light blue colored book by the FAA next to the airplane.

I'm so excited....

I've read all the history books I can find at the library which help with terminology and visual ideas. I will also search some of the ideas you suggested like the Jefferson training..and the weather books...and FAA pilot written test and....and....

Thank you friend.

Joseph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201004_064434.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #17
pilotdane
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It is not required but flying lessons would be a very good idea not only for stick & rudder skills but also the theory. A friend was flying low and slow over a swamp, threw it into a steep bank to circle for a better view of something on the ground. Luckily the shallow water and squishy muck helped cushion the crash and he learned of the accelerated stall.
pilotdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #18
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree, not mandatory but a great idea. I did join the EAA and am using their resources to gain theory. They have a good knowledge base for me and beyond. Went to their chapter meeting and was happy to be included. Super friendly. A retired Air Force fighter pilot gentleman even invited me to his hanger to see his memorabilia and daily flyer. What great history this country has.

Also found a couple of books on FAA website that are free down loads.

This ultralight flying is not a " wing it " deal. More like something I wish to get proficient at. So yes, need to see about lessons. ( while looking for an ultralight in the classifieds)

Looking up flying clubs too !

Interesting time in life this is. Hope the wife makes it through this adventure......
Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #19
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Check out Barnstormers.com thousands of aircraft for sale there.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
Blind Old Coot
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I do, couple times a week along with a couple of other sites. Figured out how to search craigslist from shore to shore. Plug in zip code and what ever mile radius you choose to pick.

Really looking for a Kolb firefly. So narrowing the search speeds things up. Found one in Maine but he dosen't respond after a couple of tries. Also a hefty price along with the logistics of getting it home......

https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1605493

Anyone out in Maine?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!