lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
Murby
Gone Wild

Default Wheel Offset Required?? Huh?

2013 Precedent.

Going to be installing either the AllSports or Jakes long travel lift kits.

I have chosen the Carlisle AT489 tires in a 23x10-12 configuration and am now looking at which wheels to put on them.

Seeing too many wheelbarrow, mower, and other steel wheels rust through over the years, I've decided that an aluminum wheel is probably best.

Apparently, these lift kits require something called an "offset wheel". A big of googling described what this is.. + offset or - offset. They just move the mounting spokes in or out as needed.

So what wheels or offset do I need for these lift kits? I can't seem to find this information anywhere. They say I need an offset wheel, but don't elaborate.

Thanks,
Murby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Wheel Offset Required?? Huh?

Most stock wheels are 3.5/3.5 inch offset, so 3.5 inch inward from hub to bead of tire, and same going outward. Most cart wheels are either 2+5 (2 inward and 5 outward=7 inch wide wheel) or 3+5. That means a 2+5 would have 1.5 inch less towards the inside and 1.5 inch more wheel outwards than a stock wheel. That gives tire room to not hit the splash well or shock inside, and the rest hangs outward to give you more stability. Because most atv tires bulge out wider than a normal tire, a more round shape than a square shape like a car tire. The cart will not be safe without offset. Sure you can run spacers instead with your ugly little steel wheels, up you you, they will fit some smaller lifts. Most run a offset wheel and atv tires with higher ply rating so they don't get flats offroad. Also the atv tires don't roll over when cornering like 2 ply will. Most go 10, 12, maybe larger wheel, but if you run offroad the low profile tires are not the best. Nice mag wheel will look great and add value to the cart anyway. You can get offset steel wheels not sure what sizes, you can get 4/4 pattern douglas spun alum wheels in a lot of sizes. On some LT lifts the larger lifts, they can ride and perform much better not using the stock shocks, but many are wider yet than a usual lift. In that case you may have to run spacers just in back to make the rear as wide or close to the front LT lift. Its generally not a great idea to run spacers or run more than you need, its harder on bearings and such, but with a slower vehicle like a cart its often not a big deal. But with a lifted cart they roll over pretty easily if you don't widen the track somehow, and the larger tires rub if you don't offset. One last note some lifts you cant use 8" wheels they will not clear the steering arm or lift components. Most work with a 10" wheel but be sure to check what size wheel and tires your lift will fit.

A lot of places that sell atv wheels/tires sell cart wheels/tires. Cart places do too. Check them out first to get an idea of what is common and what sizes.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Search "Aluminum golf cart wheels" and you'll come up with a bunch of choices. You might want to check out the "Site Sponsors" page at the top of your screen. Most of the wheels they will stock should fit your cart. You might even mention to them what tires you are looking for, they might be able to get them too. Just a thought. We like to buy from our sponsors since they help pay for this forum.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:55 AM   #4
Murby
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Search "Aluminum golf cart wheels" and you'll come up with a bunch of choices. You might want to check out the "Site Sponsors" page at the top of your screen. Most of the wheels they will stock should fit your cart. You might even mention to them what tires you are looking for, they might be able to get them too. Just a thought. We like to buy from our sponsors since they help pay for this forum.
Heck ya, I'm happy to check out site sponsors and buy stuff from them..

But who are they? Can you give me some links? Here's what I get when I click the "Site Sponsors" link in the blue bar..

I'm a bit older.. maybe I'm doing something wrong? Doesn't seem complicated.. click "site sponsors".. pretty straight forward. but I get a blank page. Thought maybe it was a glitch so tried reloading it a couple times and nothing.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:57 AM   #5
Murby
Gone Wild

fixed it.. ad blocker issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts