lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Cart Touchscreen Monitor

Here goes a shot at resolving one more issue for my cart build. I'm hoping there are some people who have some expertise or experience with monitors and or touch screens. My previous thread questions were feelers as I stepped into this idea and now I just need help starting this specific project. I will post this project to finish in this thread.

OK, let me get the info out. I'm looking at this monitor type, it can be purchased cheaper without the plastic shell and possibly without the buttons on the bottom. The greatest determination for my monitor type will be the contrast and brightness numbers. It appears the sunlight view able monitors have a brightness of 500 min and contrast of 300 min. There are many input types, HDMI, DVI, USB, and VGA. All of those choices besides USB I can deal with, unless they make USB connectors with the small screws I can tighten.

These little monitors use <9 Watts and the computer I'm looking at should be around 50 Watts.

My stumbling block is how to make these little babies waterproof I have read where some have added these to there motorcycles and boats. These folks also make or buy a watertight enclosure and use silicon sealant to make it water tight. At 5 watts the heat generated isn't enough to worry about thermal build up but my fear is the condensation from winter temps. I could seal the enclosure but leave 2 holes and fill the inside with nitrogen before sealing it up for good? Too much? They do use these in cars that experience the temps of winter. If I have to, I suppose I could fab a clear plastic door that slides out and lays down over the monitor. Doing that wouldn't be a proofing but more of a protection, then add the silicon sealant?

Some have even just used a plain monitor and added the touch screen overlay. There are a few directions I can go but I do to get something in my hands so I can continue with my dash build.

Best Regards and thankful you guys are such a helpful bunch
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart Touchscreen Monitor

I did a setup like this onetime in a boat, i wish i had pictures. you can use the one without the plastic shell and make a housing for it that will be covered by a piece of lexan. i used 1/2" mdf to make the mounting pod which i coated with bondo and then painted it. then i cut a piece of lexan to cover it with a very light window tint (it hides the tv, but will allow it to show threw with minimal loss). then i cut a trim piece which i coated with bondo and painted it. like i said, i dont have any pics of it but i wish i did.

its a time consuming process, but it will protect the tv and look cool at the same time

but i just realized that its a touch screen, so i dont know how to protect it without using lexan
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Ya. Very time consuming. Might be best to get one with a plastic housing and seal the snot out of it. The screen will still be subject to scratching.

Sent with Tapatalk while AFK, most likely at work or going 70 down the Interstate.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

How are you wanting it to mount
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you'd be better served to forget an enclosure. Enclosing it will only exacerbate the condensation problem by not allowing any present moisture to evaporate. I think a removable cover (think clear shower curtain and velcro) in the case of inclement weather would be the best bet.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

You could make a mount that would allow you to just simply remove it for when you wash it if it starts to rain
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I am wanting to hard mount into the dash so it looks like it is part of the dash. Maybe seal all around it but leave an inch or two gap on the bottom, inside the dash, so it can breath.

Sent with Tapatalk while AFK, most likely at work or going 70 down the Interstate.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...709-Black.html

Check out this type of mounting this one has
Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...709-Black.html

Check out this type of mounting this one has
I checked it out and even though I can say it's a nice quick disconnect, I liked the 4 holes on the back Thanks for the thought. My plan, right now, is to hard mount it from behind the dash and make an aesthetically pleasing cutout or fab a recessed dish to mount it into.

I did stumble onto a few more sites while Googling for monitor choices. I will forego upgrading my controller next week and get a monitor and maybe the computer too? I'm looking at roughly $250 after shipping, and that is for a 7 or 8 inch touchscreen monitor with a high brightness and contrast ratio. I'm imagining if I mount it from behind the dash I will have fewer water issues than mounting it into the dash. My waterproofing will have to differ slightly as to which way I choose to mount it and I really want something in my hand before I make that choice.

Too bad my dash isn't bigger because I have an old laptop with a 17" HiDef widescreen. The laptop motherboard or vid card took a dump and is just sitting there offering its parts

Anyhow. All of this electrical stuff is making me consider electrical interference, especially after reading some recently discussed topics elsewhere on this board. I may have to pose a question or two in the extreme DC section if I have questions after I speak with the avionics guys at work.

I probably won't have more for this topic till I get a part in hand or someone offers some considerations.

Best Regards
Shon
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Cart Touchscreen Monitor

Interference is usually created by 2 things. First is a poor grounding. second, never run audio or video cables next to power wires. Now on electric carts, keep all wires away from the controller, and I mean all wires. One thing I always did when I was doing car audio and video with many things needing power and grounds was run a heavy gauge power and ground wire to fused distribution blocks. I did learn a lot from the pros about wiring. Needles to say i've never had interference by following those guide lines.

But, hurry up and get yours done. It will push me more into doing mine

Tags
computer, monitor, multimedia, touch screen
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center