lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Texas_Electric
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 89 Electric Marathon build.

Here is my first cart, an 89 electric Marathon. I bought it for $500, and drove it up on the trailer....well, it almost made it. The batteries are shot, and the trays are too. Both of those are an easy fix. Here are a few pics of what I'm starting with.

I'll get more as I make progress.....
Texas_Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Electric Marathon build.

Man this cart is in seriously great shape for the year great buy.
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
mbyoung388
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

That cart is in great shape.. Mine was no where near that nice when i started.. Good luck on the project!
mbyoung388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So, texas electric, what is your plan with this cart ?
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

That blue can will help everything! Great starter cart. Keep us informed as you go along. I have a suggestion. If you decide to lift it and use bigger tires, I would seriously think about swapping it over to a controller cart. My 89 just about bit the dust when I added everything. The resistor studs can't handle the extra amperage draw across them.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Texas_Electric
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I guess for starters I just want to get it going again. For the long term, I'd like to do a frame off and repaint it a dark metallic blue. Im not sure if I want to put a lift on it yet, but definately new wheels and street tires. I'd like to put a small windshield in front, and have a top supported from the rear, similar to what and old T bucket would look like. It might vibrate too much though........

Swapping over to a controller sounds pretty interesting. I'd like to do that and make it a little quicker. I have to read up on all of that as well.

New batteries are a top priority now. I can get a set of 6 Crown 235 for $630, or a set of 6 Continentals for $600. I bought a new set of 4 gauge cables from buggies umlimited (before I found Scottyb's web site). I'm going to try to flow some solder in the connections and reheat shrink them.

I'll have a few more pictures to post hopefully this weekend when I tear into it again. What you can't see in the pics posted is everything I've removed from the battery compartment. The trays were corrroded pretty bad.......
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The controller will definitely save on battery run time.

I don't know everything about carts, but I have learned a lot. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be glad to help anyway I can!
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
mbyoung388
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Battery trays are a pretty easy fix if you have access to a welder and a cut off wheel.. And i found its easier to order the replacements they fit great..
mbyoung388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Texas_Electric
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just to catch up on whats been done since my last post. I mentioned you couldn't see the rusty rotted battery trays in the other post. Here you can see how bad they are......

After cutting it all out, neutralizing the acid, and applying Ospho.

This is the finished product without batteries. I bought $12 worth of metal and made my own battery trays, welded them in, primed and painted with acrylic black satin paint. I cleaned the resistor enclosure up and rattle canned it with some high temp ceramic engine paint I had. The cables are a $119 set of 4ga from buggies Unlimited. I also ordered a set of brake cables and installed them as well as readjusting the brakes.

I think its ready for batteries and a test drive.........

Today I ordered a set of Continental 6Volt batteries to start off with. They should be here Wednesday. Total price for the 6 batteries is $660.66.

This was just a quick turn around on this cart. I don't want to spend a lot on it until I decide I want to keep it. If I don't like fooling with it, I can sell it and buy a newer model.

As a side note, I found some Krylon Ivory rattle can at wally world that is just a tad lighter than the EZGO tan/champagne.

Here is the cover installed. Pretty close, if you just want to touch up, or keep it the original color to sell.

All in all this was a fun little project. If I keep it, my tentative plan is to convert to 48 volts, and get Scotty's conversion and cables. Then do a frame off (to blast it) and paint the frame with Eastwoods Ceramic Black, repaint the body a blue or even the new F150 red. Add a set of wheels, and a cooler........viola! My new neighborhood cruiser.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Looks nice! Marathons are great carts, aside from the battery trays rotting, they literally just won't die. If you do decide to keep it, then I think the new F150 red is gonna look good if it's the bright red you're referring to. I think Ford calls it "Race Red" or something like that.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides