lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
rocko
Gone Wild

Default Charging Problem E Z Go Gas

I have a EZ Go 350 ST WorkHorse which I think is not charging , it will run for a few days then the battery is dead ---I think it could be a voltage regulator or a generator problem -------I tried to wire a voltage gague into the system and mounted it on my dash thinking I could see the charge taking place while driving , but it is just the opposite I show 12 volts until I depress the gas pedal and it starts then I am showing 11 volts when running ----------do you think a voltage gauge will work on the set up this cart has and where would you start troubleshooting the no charge problem
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging Problem E Z Go Gas

Hello Rocko welcome to BGW. As no one has jumped in to help I will give you my $0.02. My expertise is on the 2PG engine so if you follow this and it doesn't make sense then things have changed and the 2PG instructions do not apply. That said, what is happening is that your cart is clearly not charging the battery and the load of the ignition running is pulling your battery down to 11 volts. So do you have a green wire running from the generator to the regulator, this should be labeled DF? If so remove the end from the generator and keep it from grounding out. Now attach a voltmeter across your battery and start the engine, you should jack up the rear end or remove the drive belt to stop the cart running away. Now with the engine running touch the wire to ground. You should see the voltmeter rise up to ~ 16 volts. If it does not then your regulator is shot. If it does then the problem is in the generator and your first step would be to check the brushes which is an easy task.

Actually there is a better solution that I have just realized and that is one or both of your connections is corroded or broken. It is common for the crimp on the regulator to break the wire and the rubber boot to hold it together so it looks like it is good. So give the wires a tug and then remove the connectors and clean then. If this doesn't work the follow the steps above.

Just as a caveat, as I said this is based on the 2PG so if you look at you cart and don't see a green wire marked DF then ignore me ans await the pleasure of a 4 stroker

Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
rocko
Gone Wild

Thanks Dave for the reply , I just got back from New Years at families and hope to get some time tomorrow to spend time on the cart before the Saints play at noon ------ kinda of new to gas carts , I have had a 89 Club Car electric for about a year now and I refurbed it down to the frame and have been driving it on the street of our neighborhood as I live in a rural area , it is coming along really nice , once you start using it you seem to never finish the modifactions I have planned for it , I have to figure how to post some pics , I got what I think is a really good deal on the Workhorse from a equipment rental company that I do work for , I use it to go into the woods on trails and to do work around the property and it does well , it's got the 350 gas engine , a strecthed frame , with a lift kit and 10 inch rim and mud tires and a hydraulic dump bed ,
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
rocko
Gone Wild

I got my charging problem start , thought I'd give some info that might help some one else out , new voltage regualtor solve problem --------- second problem/ question I asked was a charge gauge I installed in the dash that wasn't acting right , learned a lesson on that , I had used a test light to test for power at the key switch and found it showed a ground , but that was not running , talked to the guy at the EZ Go delaership and he gave me a copy of the wiring and I found that the key switch only has power when the foot pedal is depressed , I was thinking Club Car negative key switch , from there it went smooth gauge registers 14.9 volts motor reved up and turns off so as to not draw down the battery when the pedal is released ----------I think the gauge was a good deal , I can see if the battery is charging and it looks realy good as I used the smaller gauge and it fit in the dash plate has light light in it when the lights a re on ------------I think I am going to jump the switch with a toggle to keep the engine running and maybe idle it up a bit , I get 13.2 volt charge at idle and 12.5 stopped so it will be putting a trickle charge into the battery all the time it is running instead of drainning it down every time I start it up , seems I do alot of stop and go driving -----
Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
polarisdude
Not Yet Wild

Dave thanks, this was very helpful! My problem was the green wire on the starter generator. It had broke at the crimp. it was a pain to put back on though. My voltage with nothing disconnected is between 15-16v at mid throttle so I take it that it is charging right. BTW, I have a '89 3PG so seems the same. Thanks again. matt
polarisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
atvfanatic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I too am having trouble with my kart not charging the battery. I followed your directions and jacked up the cart, removed the green wire from the generator, put a volt meter across the battery and started the cart. About 11volts. I grounded the end of the green wire still 11 volts, but the wire became extremely hot to the point of burning my finger as I ride and cussed! I won't be trying that again... so what have I got? Regulator? Generator?
atvfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I removed the green wire from the voltage regulator side, and grounded it. Try that.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
75Harley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 91 Marathon, I mounted a voltage meter to my dash and I have 12.7 at rest. It will hit 16 volts at full speed. Is that too high?
75Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Harley View Post
I have a 91 Marathon, I mounted a voltage meter to my dash and I have 12.7 at rest. It will hit 16 volts at full speed. Is that too high?

Page L-4 of the 1985 2-pg manual says put it up on blocks, and run the engine to governed speed. Then observe a voltage of 14.5-15.5v.

Governed speed is 12 mph. What speed are you hitting 16v? If it's 18 mph, then I would have to say it's a judgement call.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
75Harley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, according to my cell phone app, I am hitting 15 mph. I didn't know it was putting out that much voltage. I verified it with my multi-meter as well.
75Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO