lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2021, 12:17 AM   #1
Wbaxter02
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 Club Car DS rebuild

New golf cart owner here. Bought a used 82 electric DS that's sitting at my parents house. We want to rebuild for neighborhood driving and trips to the lake so some off reading. Dad checked out the guts today and there appear to be some burnt wires and broken cabling. I figure best bet is just to replace main wiring harness but don't really know where to start. Is there an upgraded harness we should be looking to get or find OEM part? I know we will eventually change the engine out but honestly have no clue where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wbaxter02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 12:21 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 82 Club Car DS rebuild

to BGW!

Go to: Electric Club Car "Stickies" and find the wiring diagram that matches your cart.

Post is some good clear photos of the battery compartment. It helps tremendously.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the forum!

Before you start buying parts, I would recommend doing some research on here. You started out correctly by asking questions before getting started.

Keep in mind, 82' was quite a while ago and technology in GCs has changed. Most folks on here will recommend updating that GC from the original 36v to 48v system. Among other things. It will depend on how much money you want to spend on it as well as how much work you want to put into it. I would further recommend that when you do go to buy parts, utilize site sponsors when possible. One site sponsor I can personally highly recommend you speak with, is David at Revolution Golf Cars. He will listen to all your wants and needs and offer multiple choices for your needs and wants. His customer service is second to none. I have not found anyone with more knowledge on Club Car than him. http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Wbaxter02
Not Yet Wild

Does this help? I see some rust here also. Should I be concerned?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210625_122120.jpg (63.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210625_122107.jpg (114.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210625_122114.jpg (75.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210625_122101.jpg (115.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210625_122057.jpg (111.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 02:52 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You have some cables that are beyond horrible shape. When you remove them from the motor, soak them with PB Blaster and use 2 wrenches (top and bottom nut) to remove them.

These carts are pretty durable but you have a lot of cleaning up to do. This cart does not really have one "wiring harness" so to speak. Go through it methodically and get it clean and ready. Some of the wires are missing. You also have what looks like the original FNR switch. Just go through it, put some new batteries in it and go from there.

Also, you might as well replace all of those solenoids while doing this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
Wbaxter02
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
You have some cables that are beyond horrible shape. When you remove them from the motor, soak them with PB Blaster and use 2 wrenches (top and bottom nut) to remove them.

These carts are pretty durable but you have a lot of cleaning up to do. This cart does not really have one "wiring harness" so to speak. Go through it methodically and get it clean and ready. Some of the wires are missing. You also have what looks like the original FNR switch. Just go through it, put some new batteries in it and go from there.

Also, you might as well replace all of those solenoids while doing this.
Thanks for responding. What I was going to was strip it bare to frame and make sure it was solid. Try to cleanup rust and make sure nothing is rusted through completely. At the same time I can do as suggested with wiring. Maybe a dumb question but how do I know the right solenoids to buy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car