lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gassing & Bubbling in new Trojans

I just bought a 2012 RXV with 2021 Trojan T-1275 batteries. I noticed yesterday that I'm not hearing that gassing/bubbling sound from the batteries like I use to on my old TXT that I just sold that had 5 year old Trojans. When my TXT was just sitting in the garage you could hear it without even lifting up the seat. Should I be concerned? Or is this a new battery thing?
VEXING is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 05:33 AM   #2
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Gassing & Bubbling in new Trojans

The gassing gets worse as batteries age.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Makes sense. I just haven't heard a peep out of these new ones yet.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Gassing is also influenced by the charger being used, or charging profile selected with programmable chargers.

Gassing is the water in the electrolyte breaking down into its base elements, hydrogen and oxygen through a process known as electrolysis., which occurs whenever and electrical current is passed through hydrogen-hydroxide (water), so it occurs throughout the battery charging cycle.

However, it is strongest when the on-charge voltage is in the 2.35VPC to 2.45VPC (Volts per Cell) range, which translates to the 56.4V to 58.8V on-charge range for a 48V pack.

Roughly 90% of battery charging occurs before the on-charge voltage climbs into the gassing range and the on-charge voltage during the last 5%, or so, of the charge (finish charge phase) is typically above the gassing voltage range.

Percent of charge is not directly tied to elapsed time of charging and new batteries pass through the gassing voltage range quicker than older batteries, so newer batteries tend to be quieter while being charged than older batteries.

Some charge profiles are designed to minimize gassing and there are substances that can be added to batteries to reduce gassing, or at least the noises caused by gassing.

The more the batteries gas, the more water they consume, so check the fluid levels more often when the batteries gas a lot.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Also keep those new batteries charged...used 5 minute or 5 hours, put back on charge.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
VEXING
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, guys. Good info and good to know. Just got a new charger yesterday. The old generic charger it came with said it was fully charged. As soon as I plugged in the new one it took over an hour to display fully charged. Goes to show the importance of picking a good charger I guess.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshawk84 View Post
The gassing gets worse as batteries age.
Yup ... just like with people!

Seriously though ... I swear by my BatteryMINDer 483CEC1 48V 3 AMP Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator . I have this one for the golf cart and two for cars in 12 Volt. When the golf cart charger is done I hook this bad boy up to maintain the batteries. Extends life of the set by a year.
Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO