lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Humpty
Not Yet Wild

Default Crankshaft question, need advice.

1975 gas HD. Got the engine split for seals, the crank has some play in the rod and the clutch end bearing surface isn’t perfect. I’d be comfortable running the bearing surface issue, but crank needs split and at least a bearing installed.

With the cart I got parts, one of them is a very nice 9 spline crank. From reading this forum, I get the impression the 6 spline is more desirable. I just got in the mail the primary floating sheeve I ordered, looking at clutch it looks like I’d need the 9 spline “spider” to make that all work.

What would be the route to go is my question, and if rebuilding the 6 spline does anybody have advice on where to send it? Or… does anybody have a 9 spline spider I could buy? Thanks all, without this site owning one of these would be difficult.
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2021, 11:34 PM   #2
Humpty
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Crankshaft question, need advice.

This is how this shook out, got a 9 spline spider coming. Today took the 6 spline to a local fellow and he split it to see how bad rod bearing, pin and rod were. Pretty bad, with the parts I got with it there is a new rod bearing, it was plainly oversized. I sanded on crank pin bearing surface with 80 than 240 than 800 git that polished up. Than same steps honing with the sandpaper wrapped around a wheel cylinder hone to hone out rod. I gotta say, I think it’s a good repair.

What’s the down side to the 9 spline? I’m going to run it being engine is going together, end play is spot on, etc. Thinking about selling the 6 spline stuff to offset the cost I’ve got into the primary?? Just not sure what to do if there’s some weakness in the 9 spline?
Humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson