lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Help! Trouble with Ez-Go FNR

Hello guys and gals. It has been a while since I posted on this forum. The information you people put out is top notch.Things have been going okay, but now I need some help badly. The problem; 2004 Ez-Go 36 volt series car.(TXT?) with a Curtis P/n 25864-G0 9 controller. Pack voltage is 38.5. This belongs to a couple that really depend on it for transportation around their place. He has had 5 heart stoppages and a pace maker so it is his way to get around. I am trying to help them because we have been friends for many years. I may be in over my head now though. The original problem with the car was that it had no reverse, would only go forward. he said it had been smelling very hot for the last few times he used reverse. Well it should have, every connection on the FNR was toasted and the very bottom cable had burned the post out of the switch and there were several more burnt cable ends. I installed a complete new OEM Ez-Go FNR unit and replaced the cable ends plus replaced the cable from the bottom post on the FNR switch that goes to the controller and crimped new cable ends on the wire that needed them with my hydraulic crimping tool. I marked each wire so that it could go back on correctly when I reinstalled it. Who ever designed the controller/solenoid cover with those 2 bottom screws must have had a grudge against the world. Man what a problem to get them out!! Reattached the + and - main battery cables and now all I hear is the solenoid click when I mash the accelerator in forward or reverse with the rear axle on jack stands. I temporarily unplugged the reverse buzzer to be able to hear what is happening. Is there such a thing as a flow chart showing the path of the current flowing in forward or reverse to the motor? This is pretty much a charity job and I am taking a real shellacking on it so far. I have triple checked the wire numbers on the post and all are back on correct post. How do I test or what to do about getting it going and back on the way to the guy as he needs it. Thanks in advance. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help! Trouble with Ez-Go FNR

I forgot to add that it was running fine with just forward working in the FNR unit.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:49 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series.JPG (94.6 KB, 0 views)
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks for the diagram, but do you have any suggestion as to where to start looking for a problem?
Old 06-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I am no means an electric cart person but I do own one
Check you Reed Switch
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=142562
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Reed switch is good if the solenoid is operating. Check the bolt alignment on the fnr switch and make sure the cable studs line up with the puck studs on the front.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Since the solenoid is clicking then we know the pedal switch in the floor is working. You would then need to probe the black and white wires from the 5 pin plug on top of the controller to see if the proper voltage is being sent to and returning from the ITS to tell the controller to run the motor. That should be 14.5 V going to the ITS and .5 v to 1.5 v coming back from the ITS as the pedal is pressed. If that is happening, then you would need to check the output of the controller to see if it is responding. If it is, then the problem lies somewhere in the F/R switch, cables, or motor.

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/ezgo-...eshooting.html
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
gadavis
Gone Wild

Unhappy Re: Help! Trouble with Ez-Go FNR

The voltage on the white and the black wire are spot on the mark as you show. The contact studs on the FNR switch line up good and I even checked to see if I could slip a feeler gauge between them, No dice there was no clearance between the paired contacts. I think there is a problem somehow with the FNR unit although I have had it apart and looked an saw nothing I thought was wrong with it. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
The voltage on the white and the black wire are spot on the mark as you show. The contact studs on the FNR switch line up good and I even checked to see if I could slip a feeler gauge between them, No dice there was no clearance between the paired contacts. I think there is a problem somehow with the FNR unit although I have had it apart and looked an saw nothing I thought was wrong with it. Frustrating to say the least.
Is it possible you have the cam rotated 90° creating a situation where the busbars are not connecting the correct studs together to operate?
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJR View Post
Is it possible you have the cam rotated 90° creating a situation where the busbars are not connecting the correct studs together to operate?
Both the lever arms connected together by the rod have to be facing up or the cam inside the F/R assembly turns the wrong way.

The F/R assembly's mounting bracket has oblong holes and it has to be adjusted side to side so the cam fully rotates into the mechanical stops in both F and R.

Here's an exploded diagram. it might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Series F-N-R Exploded.JPG (50.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO