lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Default Volt Merer Installatiion 48v

How do I wire a battery voltmeter in my 1998 Clubcar 48v?

The voltage at the key switch appears to be 24v..control voltage??

Anyway, I wouldn't think the meter is left to display when the cart is not switched on.
So........................
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Volt Meter Installatiion 48v

I did the same project not too long ago.

The experts will likely chime in after me, but this is what I walked away from from reading the material here on BGW. . .

1) Use a digital gauge that reports voltage in numbers, NOT percentage or bar graph.

2) Wire it directly to battery pack. (I ran the wires under the cart along side other wires, protected in a plastic sleeve)

3) A voltmeter left on 24/7 will not drain the batteries noticeably, if that still bothers you, add an on/off switch (some voltmeters incorporate an on/off switch on their bezel)

4) Support our sponsors
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: Volt Merer Installatiion 48v

I'm not sure about the older cart you have but I've wired up three voltage meters on Club Cars.
I think the oldest cart I wired up digital voltages meters for was a 2005 model.
The key switches were all 48V. Depending if you want the meter on all of the time or only when the key is in the on position depends on which side of the switch you tie into.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Key switch should be 48v. If the key switch was truly 24v the controller wouldn’t recognize “key on” and the cart won’t work.
You’ll probably have to run your own negative/ground wire directly to pack negative terminal.

I use the key switch for my meter without issue. But note that the voltage read through the key switch may be 0.2 (ish) volts lower than the pack voltage if you just hooked your meter up to the main pack terminals. Not a big deal as long as you remember the difference. This is normal due to voltage drop through connections.

I recently replaced my oem key switch with an aftermarket ATV key switch and it “fixed” the voltage drop so there is no difference anymore.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
Ronno6
Gone Wild

When I wired in place of the original amber battery lamp, the meter started reading at about 24v, then gave blinking jibberish numbers for a second or 2, then just shut off......... Using a digital meter I was getting readings in the 24v range.
Dunno.
More experimentation tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Now that I have this new toy/distraction, I need some numbers.
What should the voltage be while charging?
What should the meter read when batteries are fully charged?
How about the after without using?
What should voltages read while driving, realizing that that is load dependent??
How low a reading when in need of a recharge?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno6 View Post
Now that I have this new toy/distraction, I need some numbers.
What should the voltage be while charging? You may see 60V plus close to the end of the charge cycle.
What should the meter read when batteries are fully charged? See Attached Chart
How about the after without using? See Chart
What should voltages read while driving, realizing that that is load dependent??
As said, it depends.
How low a reading when in need of a recharge? General rule of thumb is charge whether you use it 5 minutes or 5 hours. But see chart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery-state-of-charge-chart_v2.jpg (80.5 KB, 0 views)
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Mine usually doesn't dip lower than 10% of SOC under load, quickly rises back when stopped. Get digital VM, not bar meter. You can monitor your battery condition at a glance. Will help you a lot to read the "Stickies" about batterys under the Club car section. For that matter, read all the stickies for club car, you will get a wealth of knowledge about your cart. I've found that if it has happened to someone here, it will happen to me eventually.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car