lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 02:46 AM   #1
Travis_1203
Not Yet Wild

Default New to me 1975 Harley 3 wheel golf cart

New member here.

I just recently purchased a 1975 Harley 3 wheel golf cart. I have pretty much read everything on this forum in regards to this golf cart. There is a ton of info on this forum and I appreciate having this info to work on mine.

I am beginning to attempt to get this cart running.

Overall the golf cart is not in bad shape. The wiring looks to be in decent shape but I have not gone through it to find out if everything is correct.

The engine compression is 60 psi and I am in the process of rebuilding the top end. I have also rebuilt the carburetor.

My question is how hard is it to bypass all of the factory wiring just to test run the engine? Has anyone tried this? What all needs to be hooked up just to test run it? Once I know the engine runs, then I will worry about fixing the stock wiring.

I have hooked up the starter/generator to a battery and turned the engine over to test the compression.

I know I need to wire the starter/generator, condenser and coil to the battery. What else needs to be hooked up to run this engine?

Any input is appreciated.
Travis_1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: New to me 1975 Harley 3 wheel golf cart

There are really two circuits on your cart. The ignition circuit and the battery charging circuit. You don't need the latter for the cart to run. These circuits are very basic so it's as simple as, anything connected to the voltage regulator does not have to be in play for the engine to run.

The key switch, microswitch, coil, condenser, points, and starter must be in place. Note that those engines must ground through the case so make sure that your ground strap is connected or otherwise you have a good ground to the case.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #3
Travis_1203
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
There are really two circuits on your cart. The ignition circuit and the battery charging circuit. You don't need the latter for the cart to run. These circuits are very basic so it's as simple as, anything connected to the voltage regulator does not have to be in play for the engine to run.

The key switch, microswitch, coil, condenser, points, and starter must be in place. Note that those engines must ground through the case so make sure that your ground strap is connected or otherwise you have a good ground to the case.
Thank you. I will be working on the new top end this weekend and hopefully I can at least see if I can get it running. Then I will go through the wiring harness and check everything out to make sure it is wired like it should be.

I have the wiring diagram and you are right, the wiring is not complicated at all. I'll then test the microswitch, solenoid, coil, points and condenser also while I am at it.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

That year cart is a good one and is not hard to rebuild. Just be sure to read most of the information on this forum. This is the best forum on the net.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Travis_1203
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tew45 View Post
That year cart is a good one and is not hard to rebuild. Just be sure to read most of the information on this forum. This is the best forum on the net.
Thank you tew45. I fixed a little bit of wiring and I bypassed the microswitch because it is bad. I have a microswitch on order. Everything else works and I could get the engine running in reverse only. That engine is loud without a muffler! But It would not run at all in forward. I know it is timing related and I worked a few hours on it trying to get the engine to run in forward but it wouldn't even attempt to fire in forward. I have 90 psi compression forward and reverse. I'm definitely getting fuel and spark. I looked at your simplified timing post but I'm a little confused on how to make the timing tool. You really should make those and sell them with instructions! You could make some money! Lol. I know I would pay for one just for the ease of setting the timing correct every year.

I'll keep messing with it this week. I should be able to get it going. I worked on cars for 10 years but points systems have always been an issue for me.

Thank you to everyone that chimed in.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

If you have a timing issue take the time and the $50 to convert to HEI. I can vouch for the simplicity of it. I wired mine up while home sick from work and was really Foggy that day. But it works great. Thing fires right up for us no issues. Cleaned up whatever gremlins I was having prior to doing the conversion.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I will try to explain the timing procedure a little better and how to make a timing stop or gauge. I also tried the HEI conversion but I did not pot the circuit and water was going to erode the circuit board so I switched back to points. I have checked my points lately and they were still right on and I set them over 3 years ago. So the conversion is very good iv it suits you. Expect another post this week!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
Travis_1203
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I will try to explain the timing procedure a little better and how to make a timing stop or gauge. I also tried the HEI conversion but I did not pot the circuit and water was going to erode the circuit board so I switched back to points. I have checked my points lately and they were still right on and I set them over 3 years ago. So the conversion is very good iv it suits you. Expect another post this week!
Awesome! Thank you.

I was able to get my cart running both forward and reverse. It screams both directions. It's a fun little thing to ride.

I definitely would like more info on the simplified timing just to double check the timing on mine.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Sorry I did not get back to sooner but health issues slow me down a lot these days. The ignition system is a little odd to the newer generations but is very simple once you understand it completely. Quality points set properly will lase foe years with hardly any attention. I have used both systems and both are very good but still depend largely on quality points.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
Travis_1203
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Sorry I did not get back to sooner but health issues slow me down a lot these days. The ignition system is a little odd to the newer generations but is very simple once you understand it completely. Quality points set properly will lase foe years with hardly any attention. I have used both systems and both are very good but still depend largely on quality points.
Thank you tew45. No worries. I haven't had much time to work on my cart since I got it running. I used GPS and it does 18 mph. I have quality points and condenser on it and it runs well. I'm happy with the way it runs on points so I will keep them. Now that I have it running, I'm going to go through everything to make it look nicer. I will post pictures before and after once I go through everything. I really appreciate everyone's input so far. This site is great.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson