lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
Papajohn011964
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Painting the top

What are the steps and what is the best paint to use to paint the top?
Papajohn011964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
FloridaCart
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Painting the top

PapaJohn (assuming you want it Black) It really boils down to the look your going for and budget. A lot of guys spend lots of money on products such as Raptor liner and other truck bed coatings.
I personally have used this product a few times with great results.
1st take top off and scuff with scotch brite pad
paint the underneath first let dry a little and then flip over and do top and sides .
It drys with a textured finish and has held up well. its easy to touch up if it gets nicked up. 2 cans will cover it easy
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8914/202097787
FloridaCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I scuff with a scotch brite pad. Then wipe it off with alcohol. Prep with promoter and then just spray it. Krylon fusion works great. I have very few issues with chipping or scratching, only when I use my enclosure it would rub the edges. Satin black works perfect... I think flat black looks bad/cheesy and gloss is hard to touch up. Satin black looks great and easy to touch up so you can’t even tell.

I’ve only had to touch up the corners on my carts, maybe once per year on the corners from the enclosure. I’ve run under trees and stuff frequently and never had any chipping or scratching issues at all.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #4
CustomCurt
Gone Wild

theres a product called bulldog, an adhesion promoter, apply it like clearcoat let it dry and you can coat over it, if you are using mixable paints you can also add some to your mix. it is available at local paint supply stores
CustomCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just looked I’ve got a half can left of the stuff I always use now. I’ve tried a lot of different ones and this works the best. SEM 39863. It’s pricey but good stuff. Regardless of what type of paint or finish you use (even if you go bed liner route) a good promoter is key to it not chipping or scraping off. Same for painting the plastic body. The SEM stuff is awesome.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
Papajohn011964
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the replies. I never even thought about bed liner stuff. The cart is red so that’s the color the wife wants. Can you get that stuff in red?
Papajohn011964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now that its warming up i plan to paint the roof of my CC Precedent soon. Looking at Plastic Promoters is making my head hurt, there are so many different types and brands.

SEMS 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promotor(Yellow Can)
SEMS 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promotor(Blue Can) - Amazon says Flexible Bonding
SEMS 77723 XXX Adhesion Promotor(White Can)
Dupli-Color CP199 Clear Adhesion Promoter Primer
Rust-Oleum 251572 Adhesion Promoter

How do i know which is best? Do i spray the promotor then a primer then paint or does paint go directly over the promotor?

Would Krylon K02732007 Fusion All-In-One Spray Paint - Satin Black be a good choice of paint? I didnt plant to do a clear because i wanted to keep the satin finish or should i do a satin clear over the paint?

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The krylon fusion is what I’ve found works best. It really bonds well with plastic.

Any of those adhesion promoters would do the job just fine. Their job is basically to soften the surface and allow the paint to bond better.

I’d just do the fusion, no clear. Clear coat is hard and has a tendency to crack when flexed. Plus if you do have to touch it up (and it’s a painted surface constantly hitting trees and stuff, it’s gonna happen eventually) it would be really difficult to touch up if you cleared it. With just fusion you just have to spray a little patch where it’s rubbed off and it blends perfectly.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #9
Frankenstein897
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry to jump in here. Doing my first paint job this weekend (I hope). With the Krylon Fusion, do you still prime it? So adhesion promoter, prime, paint. And no clear. Is that what I am getting from this thread? I have been reading all over this forum and the stick on this subject is great and taught me a lot. But, this looks easier for a newb like myself.
Frankenstein897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

keep in mind the bottom gets seen more than the top , even more on a lifted cart
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car