lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium Pack Build Questions

The reason I bought the ELCon charger is the convenience of having it on-board all the time. Just plug in a 110V extension cord and charge the pack. The ElCon charges at 15amps so it's not a "forever" time period.

As much as I use the cart it's just worth it (for me) to have a higher amp charger.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #22
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

I wonder if I box like this wold work?? Little pricey buy ill keep looking. Please let us know how those battery's work as I might go this same route.

https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Box.../TLA7708R.html
Booshy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #23
DaveTM
Gone Wild

That's really pricy. Why don't you build one using "L" channel and steel plate? Search the forum as other's who have converted to lithium have built 'em. You need a drill. A small hobby drill press would be very handy.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #24
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So far I have 8 miles on the lithium pack. Pretty much all of it wide open throttle and .5-1 mile rides at a time. Pack voltage is 39.6v at idle and under load 38.5v At idle cell voltage diff is .009. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the JBD bms, right now it's not showing remaining ah. Thinking about buying a Daly.
BigzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:34 AM   #25
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Great info here on a DIY lithium build.

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

No need for a high Amp BMS and actually not recommended. Better to use a low current cutoff signal as described above.

Cheers
Pat.

Hey Pat can you elaborate on this a bit more? Are you talking about amperage draw? I purchased a built pack from a local company and the BMS cuts off as soon as a hit the throttle on my cart with a Alltrax controller. (I assume I am pulling to many amps and the BMS is protecting the battery's)
The company said the BMS in the pack was rated to 130 amps. But no matter how slow I pushed the peddle it would reset the BMS. I turned the amp draw down on the alltrax but then the cart would barley move.

Can someone explain how you use a low Amp draw BMS in my situation?
Old 06-28-2021, 09:58 AM   #26
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

I am seriously considering building a pack like BigzB. It sounds like everyone that makes them. Extreme team, Roy Pow, Etc ect is back ordered or waiting on parts or shipments to arrive. This would be for my 36 volt 4 seater cart with stock motor and controller.

Same battery's BigzB ordered. Just watching to make sure hes happy with them before I drop the $.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2ce83e5ft0wqfe

Daly BMS off amazon

https://www.amazon.com/DALY-LiFePO4-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Ill probably find or make a box to hold it all. Would like to get the battery's and BMS enclosed if I am spending almost $2k to build this.

Still trying to find a good reliable charger. I do like the idea of keeping it onboard if I have room. This way it can be charged anywhere if the cart runs out of juice.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #27
Booshy68
Not Yet Wild

Hey Dave,

Can you share what model your using? I see they have many different models and the prices are all over the board as well. I am looking for a charger for my 36v and 48v carts. Both Lithium set ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
The reason I bought the ELCon charger is the convenience of having it on-board all the time. Just plug in a 110V extension cord and charge the pack. The ElCon charges at 15amps so it's not a "forever" time period.

As much as I use the cart it's just worth it (for me) to have a higher amp charger.

FWIW
Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #28
BigzB
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshy68 View Post
I am seriously considering building a pack like BigzB. It sounds like everyone that makes them. Extreme team, Roy Pow, Etc ect is back ordered or waiting on parts or shipments to arrive. This would be for my 36 volt 4 seater cart with stock motor and controller.

Daly BMS off amazon

https://www.amazon.com/DALY-LiFePO4-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Ill probably find or make a box to hold it all. Would like to get the battery's and BMS enclosed if I am spending almost $2k to build this.

Still trying to find a good reliable charger. I do like the idea of keeping it onboard if I have room. This way it can be charged anywhere if the cart runs out of juice.
That BMS isn't what you want, it's 12v and you don't need high amps. The BMS is mainly used to charge the batteries. You can add a relay on the B- side connected to the key switch to cut power when any cell goes below 2.7v. Another relay can be used to turn off the charger when a cell goes over-voltage. The JBD bms I have shuts off power once a cell goes over-voltage and the charger then lights up that the pack is fully charged and stops the charge process. Since it does this I'm not adding the over-voltage relay at this time.

This is the BMS you want, https://www.amazon.com/DALY-LiFePO4-.../dp/B0876JZ62R

I would interested to see the inside of the lithium packs you currently have. You might be able to re-use the cells and just buy a new BMS. Does this pack have bluetooth? If it does you should be able to see errors and why it's cutting out.

I'm at 11 miles now and pack voltage is 39.5v. The big test will be this weekend when we take it to the lake. We'll see if it will last 4 days of driving around with some decent hills.
BigzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshy68 View Post
Hey Dave,

Can you share what model your using? I see they have many different models and the prices are all over the board as well. I am looking for a charger for my 36v and 48v carts. Both Lithium set ups.
https://www.evcomponents.com/elcon-t...w-charger.html

$225 plus $80 shipping according to the web site
Old 06-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #30
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Booshy68,

Everything you need to know is in the thread I linked to but simply, the BMS is only used to disconnect the key switch on low voltage conditions. The main high current cables from the controller are connected directly to the battery pack, bypassing the BMS so there’s no high current protection.

Reusing the cells in your existing pack is a possibility but you’ll need to ensure that they are capable of supplying the currents that your motor/controller will be drawing.

The Eve cells you linked to on Alibaba may or may not be adequate. They are very good cells but their maximum continuous current is only 1C (105A) with a 30 second peak of 3C (315A). You’ll need to decide if they are up to the task in your application.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO