lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Custom seat covers

"I have an idea"
I just completed my custom seat covers, This made me realize how much I really enjoy sewing and creating things in this way.
There are a few companies/suppliers out there that do seat covers where you can order online and here in NJ most of our local upholstery shops have been killed by Covid restrictions.
I want to invest in a really good sewing machine and start doing seat covers as a small side business until I retire and move away from NJ.
Then make that my supplemental income for retirement.
For the next few years to gain enough experience I will make them for people fairly cheap.
I am asking everyone here for feedback to assist me in making this investment.
Is there any interest here on the forum for this type of work?
Please respond here or PM me with your thoughts.
I really appreciate the feedback.
Brian
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Custom seat covers

there is always need for seat covers . It will be hard to compete with the likes of https://www.uptoparcovers.com/
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #3
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I agree there is great competition. When I contacted "uptopar" about making covers for my cart project their answer was "No, they only do standard carts" This is one of the reasons I started thinking... If I were to make covers out of the "norm" for people at a truly reasonable price I think I could create a following.
I can only assume, that company uses standard templates, or they are just a reseller.

Upholstery is one of those things, 15 years ago I made a custom base plate for a motorcycle seat and brought it to a local shop for a leather cover, Nothing fancy it was black leather with two seams in the rear to get it to proper shape. His estimate was $500. I went across town and bought a $40 piece of leather from another shop and went home. I formed the existing foam, wet stretched my shape, and hand stitched the two 5" seams. I did the job for under $100 with purchasing the stitching maul and thread.
I know for sure that a "professionals" time is worth good money, but the way I see it that guy was gonna make $200 an hour for his service. I fortunately have enough skill to take on these tasks that most people would rather pay to have done.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
I agree there is great competition. When I contacted "uptopar" about making covers for my cart project their answer was "No, they only do standard carts" This is one of the reasons I started thinking... If I were to make covers out of the "norm" for people at a truly reasonable price I think I could create a following.
I can only assume, that company uses standard templates, or they are just a reseller.

Upholstery is one of those things, 15 years ago I made a custom base plate for a motorcycle seat and brought it to a local shop for a leather cover, Nothing fancy it was black leather with two seams in the rear to get it to proper shape. His estimate was $500. I went across town and bought a $40 piece of leather from another shop and went home. I formed the existing foam, wet stretched my shape, and hand stitched the two 5" seams. I did the job for under $100 with purchasing the stitching maul and thread.
I know for sure that a "professionals" time is worth good money, but the way I see it that guy was gonna make $200 an hour for his service. I fortunately have enough skill to take on these tasks that most people would rather pay to have done.
It's something you enjoy doing, have aptitude for it, go ahead and pursue it, have fun, see where it takes you

Good Luck!
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Maybe throw in a YouTube Chanel and make some ad $ there and be able to keep the prices reasonable that way.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

yes up to par is a full upholstery shop (its around the corner from me) and use templets for there cutting/assembly . You are outside the norm when it comes cart seat covers and I guess the need for that cover would be small. But they could very easily make it for what I have seen the half a dozen times I have been there.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #7
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

my wife made the seat covers for our golf cart as well, she had a heavy Duty sewing machine it was a Husqvarna,it did everything embroidery, custom logos, but it struggled and broke needles, I ended up buying her a Bernina, for mother's day, just your basic sewing machine, $800 but it can sew through multiple layers of leather no problem, my wife took eight layers of leather sewed it together just to show me how good it was,
The sewing machines you see at motorcycle rallies where they so on the patches, are all the same brand and all are over $2,500 for a sewing machine. There is a market for what you're trying to do, you just have to figure out how to make it profitable. Good luck with that
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think it's doable. Start locally and spread out from there. Advertise on Craigs List, FB Marketplace, and ask local fabric shops to allow you to put up a notice in their store. The stores here like to have names for referral.
Sewingmachinesplus.com is having a great sale right now. They have some great walking foot machines very reasonably priced. The Reliable Barracuda 200 ZW has several reviews on YouTube and is a good entry machine for under $500, on sale. If things go well you can upgrade your machine.
What would stop me from doing it? All the hassle of establishing a business, getting the license, paying monthly sales tax, quarterly taxes..... etc.......etc.... been there, done that. Using an accountant gets expensive for a hobby business.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:33 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
yes up to par is a full upholstery shop (its around the corner from me) and use templets for there cutting/assembly . You are outside the norm when it comes cart seat covers and I guess the need for that cover would be small. But they could very easily make it for what I have seen the half a dozen times I have been there.
They are indeed a full service upholstery shop. I have been using them for years and am quite satisfied. Each set is hand made and has my name and hand drawn arrows showing front/back/top/bottom. They even have instructions on their website describing how to measure your seats if they are not a standard size. Who at UPTOPAR would tell the OP they do not do this I have have no idea nor why they would.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #10
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Who at UPTOPAR would tell the OP they do not do this I have have no idea nor why they would.
I did not start this thread to cause issues or "out" anyone, and thought it strange they would not take this job, and I don't think I sounded like "That Guy you don't want to work for"
Here is the email.

I'm sorry, but we don't do that. The covers we make are for standard seats only. Your best bet would be to find a local upholster.

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 09:32:31 PM EST, Brian Quigley <brian_quigley@comcast.net> wrote:

Good Evening
I live in NJ and I am restoring an uncommon Golf Cart.
It did not come with seats and I re-engineered the seat configuration a little.
I really like the 1 stripe seat covers on your site.
Here is the big question
If I sent you a cardboard template and color pallets.
Would you be able to make the cover for this template?
The seats are not far off from most other Golf carts.
Front seat base is 40" x 18" With a middle curve up front like a seat back.
Front seat back is 38" x 16" perfect rectangle
Rear seat base is 40" x 18" perfect rectangle
Rear seat back is 38" x 12" perfect rectangle

The colors are Ford Blue and Pure White
White would be the outside and the blue would be the stripe.
The attached picture is to illustrate the curve in the front seat base.

Thank you
Brian
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop