lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #21
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Two 23 HP Vanguards and a cold start issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by army View Post
I'm gonna prune the linkage down to just a simple rod that works the choke lever. I think I can route it back to where it's easily used from the seat by hooking it up like my old Ford tractors. The chokes on them are just a straight to the carb spring loaded 1/8" rod with a knob to pull on. I have a drawer full of old Ford tractor choke and throttle rods and thread-on ball joints for them. Might as well make use of them.

That's a pretty good idea!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #22
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

[QUOTE=army;1799199]Had a look at your thread. Pretty interesting stuff. Gonna read through it again.

I have a pair of those Mudlites on my JD 400 snowblowing tractor. I bought a set of 4 used almost new ones. Actually got them for my cart but ended up with the 26x12-12's on my 400 and gave my brother the 26x10-12's for his JD 420. The seller didn't say why he sold them but I quickly figured it out. At lower speeds they ride so rough just driving across the shop floor is a bumpy ride. They're ok rolling along at 10 mph or more though. Are yours like that?

Yeah, I didn't use them on pavement. I had the Duro's for that.

Andy--just noticed your user title...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #23
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Andy--just noticed your user title...
What do you mean? Sarcasm isn't against the rules, is it?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #24
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Now that the choke is working as it should that VG engine has started in only a few seconds every morning since I modified it. Temps have been about 15-20F in that bay every day so far. All I did was hook up a thin cable direct to the choke plate lever and put a return spring on it. Pulling on the cable closes the choke all the way. Just gotta fab something permanent now.

I have more of them that haven't been cleaned up but none of the rods and ball joints I have in my stash would work as is. There's a few of them that could have been made to work but I didn't bother. Don't need to. A flexible cable works just fine.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #25
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Where do you guys buy parts for your Vanguards? I've looked at eBay and Amazon for intake and carb gaskets for a 23 HP but no luck so far. I must not be asking the right question or phrasing it wrong or something. I'd like some valve cover gaskets too. I can make my own but I'd rather have the stamp cut pre-made type. I checked B&S's site too. It's ok if you already know the part numbers, which I of course do not.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #26
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Jacks small engines, or Pats.

https://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Briggsmanual.pdf (15.88 MB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #27
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You'll need your full model number from the I.D. plate on the side of the engine. You type in the model number and select your model, find the correct diagram, and select the part. It's pretty easy. Be prepared to wait a week or so though, everyone is a little backed up or slow right now.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #28
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the parts tip guys

This Vanguard has started in about 3 seconds every day since I fixed the choke. It's a temp fix actually. Just a cable with a return spring and a nut tied on the end of it to pull on while sitting on the seat. Gonna improve it now by substituting a brand new shiny nut for the scruffy one it has now. Kidding.. I'm actually gonna make something that looks respectable and works good.

The conclusion here is my particular 23 HP VG twin will start up really fast unless there's something that causes it not to. I tend to think they all will though. Mine doesn't need a lot of choke after it's running. Just a couple quick little tugs on the cable right after it starts and it's fine. I was wondering if it would need a choke mechanism that would allow it to be set partly open while it warmed up but nope.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:28 AM   #29
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a several month later follow up to the choke issue. My JD 400 with a 23 HP Vanguard in it and an electric fuel pump has been starting instantly for several months now after the choke linkage fix. Can't even count to 1 before it's running. The VG in my JD 420 with the vacuum pump fires up in 3-4 seconds. Every time. I was gonna install an electric pump on it too but as long as it starts as easy as it does now it should be fine as is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!