lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Voltage regulator

1989:Club Car DS. I need some help with a Voltage regulator problem? I am getting my info from a 1999 service manual. I am assuming since the carts are so much a like the info should be valid but that may be my trouble. The 1989 and 1999 do use different types of voltage regulators New Starter Generator charging test shows 17 to 18 volts. 1999 manual says that should be good. The voltage regulator was running in the 14s to 17s. 1999 manual says that should be 14.7 to 15.3 I am testing with red multimeter probe on the solenoid post with the red wire from the voltage regulator and black to the neg batt post. Engine has been run for several mins at a higher speed. Ordered a new volt reg. That one ran low 13s to mid 13s. Not the 14.7 to 15.3. Bought a different brand. That one tested at battery level and running the cart drained the batt. Exchanged that one for a different one. That one runs low to mid 13s. Re installed original that one still runs 14s to 17s. I can’t believe I had 3 new defects and with 2 of the new ones running low 13s to mid 13s I am questioning if the 1999 numbers hold true for the 1989. I even checked and the meter is set for DC volts. Am I testing this right? Using wrong numbers? What could it be? Thanks in advance
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Re: Voltage regulator

For anyone with this same issue, I went through 4 voltage regulators. On the last two l learned of the set screw. Tried to adjust, didn’t work. Fairtax4me gave the tip, the new style voltage reg would work in place of the old style. Problem solved.
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The old style regulators Were fine, but the new replacements you can get now are all pretty much made in china junk.
13.5v is fine for charging voltage, but the RPM when that voltage is produced also makes a difference. You need to see over 13v by 900-1,000 rpm, basically just above idle speed. And full charge voltage 13.5 or more by 1,500 rpm.
If it doesn't get over 13v until you get to 3,000 rpm, then it will never charge correctly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
rbrownnh
Not Yet Wild

We inherited a gas club car that is a pedal start starter/generator type. It is a 2010 -2012. We are not sure if it ever charged because the battery would die after two days of use, so we replaced the regulator with new. It started charging but over charges to 17 Volts. We checked the wiring and all looks good. Red from regulator goes to S/G side of the solenoid, black directly connected to the neg terminal on battery, yellow goes to DF field term on S/G. We have tried reversing the red wire on the solenoid, same overcharges, disconnected the yellow wire from regulator, no charge at all. Ground the yellow from S/G to neg term on battery and we get 17 volts across the battery terminals. Replaced with another regulator, no charge at all, put previous new reg on, back to over charging. We purchased a $50+ regulator hoping to stay away from the cheap regulators and we are overcharging again. ?????????????? Doesn't make sense, could it be something in the S/G?

The S/G may not be the original. We had to reverse the A1 and F1 wires to allow the S/G to rotate in the correct direction for the engine to start. Would that make a difference? Other than charging the cart runs like a dream.
rbrownnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Welcome Rbrownh, Not sure of the over charging but some starter/generators can be wired to turn in either direction but will only charge in one direction.
But again, you are charging so maybe not relevant here.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What brand is the starter/gen? It should have a label on it. If that label says “dynamo” then I’d plan on replacing it sooner than later, even when those work, it’s not for long.

There should be a yellow wire coming off of the VR. This controls the field of the generator (which determines charging voltage output). Disconnnect this wire from the VR and run the engine. Voltage should drop to battery voltage, if it does then VR is junk.

If it stays at 17v then disconnect that wire from the starter/gen itself. Run the engine again. If it now drops to battery voltage then that wire is either hooked up wrong or shorted to ground somewhere between the VR and the S/G.

If, with that wire disconnected from the S/G itself, it’s still 17+ volts then the field is shorted inside the starter/gen and it needs to be replaced. Get an oem unit. They’re pricey around $300 for a new one but worth it because they work and they last. The $100-150 aftermarket ones generally don’t last more than a couple months before they implode internally.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you had to change wires around, then its very likely someone replaced the starter gen.
That may not be all of the problem. The regulator needs a good ground for it to charge properly. Make sure the housing of the regulator has a good connection to ground. The metal tab it sits on is not grounded very well and can cause problems.
Check the yellow wire between the SG and the regulator for any damage to the insulation, especially where the harness loops down below the muffler, and runs along side the cradle.

Otherwise I would say the SG is at fault.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
rbrownnh
Not Yet Wild

We ordered a new S/G because we believe it is not the original S/G. We will see in a few days.

Thanks for all your help.
rbrownnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car